1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tacoma paint recall?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shaniac, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    shaniac

shaniac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Double-Cab Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Does anybody know if Toyota has a recall on the paint for 2000 Tacomas?
    Recently I noticed that there was spot fading on the roof of my Tacoma, right above the windshield on the driver side. Well a month later and the spot has spread and is white in color. I am sure this is the clear coat going bad, I was wondering if there was a paint recall before I have to dish out the cash to get it fixed...

The paint job looks great for an 11 year old truck except for a few scratches and dings from off road use but I am concerned about the growing white spot on my roof...

See images below:

IMG_1011_bbde456a99f0178d15757adbf7c3a0bcae7f3642.jpg

Here is the ever growing spot on the roof:
    IMG_1012_12c73afc7f7f589f76024f8ebc76dceb0b8f72a4.jpg

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I could be wrong but I think recalls are usually mechanical or safety related issues and if it's covered by a tsb your out of warrenty.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    shaniac

shaniac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Double-Cab Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember Ford had a paint recall a few years ago...don't know if Ford rectified the situation but was wondering if Toyota had one.

You may be right though.

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    i never heard of a paint recall and doubt there is one. The paint on my 97 was trashed till I got it repainted.

5. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Never had any paint recalls, they are for safety reasons only.

6. Nov 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    JManders

JManders Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    I've got the same problems going on with mine. I've got two spots near the front of the roof; you can clearly see them from the front of the truck.

I also have two 'stripes' of the paint stripping down running down the length of my hood. It looks like I had a failed attempt to put racing stripes on my truck. I've seen this with other '00 Tacomas so I'm sure it's a problem from the manufacturer. Wish they would put out a paint recall, but it's something I'm sure they won't cover.

To the OP, just wait until it gets through the clear coat and paint and you have these dark grey blotches surrounded by white outlines... It looks terrible!

Products Discussed in

To Top