Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilsteins

Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Bilsteins

So i got a leveling kit right now but im wondering if i were to use 5100's to lift the front up could i take the leveling kit out, because essentially wouldn't that level it out? the kit is 2"

Also, difference between 5100's 5125's 5150's?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
So i got a leveling kit right now but im wondering if i were to use 5100's to lift the front up could i take the leveling kit out, because essentially wouldn't that level it out? the kit is 2"

Also, difference between 5100's 5125's 5150's?
Close. The front 5100s can be set to zero lift, 1.25, or 2.5

I think the basic diff between the models is extension/compression length. Not sure on actual numbers.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Close. The front 5100s can be set to zero lift, 1.25, or 2.5

I think the basic diff between the models is extension/compression length. Not sure on actual numbers.
So if i set it at 2.5 would it eventually settle close to 2"?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So if i set it at 2.5 would it eventually settle close to 2"?
It's going to depend almost entirely on the state of your coils, and this will be subjective for any older or modded truck. If they are stock, and probably worn-out, progressive coils, there won't be any settling.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
the 5150's are a long rear resi shock, and the 5125's are longer than the 5100s IIRC
5125s basically just come in a lot more lengths. Including longer and shorter the rear 5100s.

5150s just have the resivor for better cooling and are available with one other valving setup.

Otherwise all of these billy shocks have the same valving.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Ok guys, tell me if this makes sense or what i should do.

I have spacers to level out the front which i want to get rid of. I was thinking Front 1500's at 2.5 and 5125's on the rear, but i dont know what options you can set the 5125's at.

Also would front coils need to be replaced?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
iirc this only applies to 2nd gen, for 1st gen they are adjustable but i never hear about anybody setting them to anything but zero
Ok, so options to level the truck out besides spacers?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Well i have a prerunner, so its already "high" enough for me, i just want to level the front out without the spacers.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
What is your budget?

You can set bilstein 5100's up front w/ stock coils at either stock height, 1'', or 2.5'' (according to DSM)

To me it seems like 2'' is a bit much to level out a stock truck, do you have pictures of how your truck sits now? In my mind it seems like setting the billies to 1'' should be enough to just level it out. But I guess every truck is different depending on the condition of the current suspension components.

You may be able to set the billies to 2.5'' and maybe your stock coils are sagging enough so that it puts it where you want. But that is a gamble, and setting the billies to 2.5 on stock coils will make the front suspension really stiff.

If you have a little more money to spend you can run OME struts and OME 881 coils which would lift your front end right at 2'', and your front end would be nice and cushy.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was 0, .85 ,1.75 , 2.5
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Oh probably because of 1st gen . Nvm
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
iirc this only applies to 2nd gen, for 1st gen they are adjustable but i never hear about anybody setting them to anything but zero
No, scocar is correct. The reason you don't hear about many of us using other than a zero setting is because most of us have paired them with aftermarket coils (e.g., Eibachs or OMEs). When installed this way, the springs do the lifting and do not require a pre-loading.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
What size spacer do you have now? Does your truck sit the way you want it now?
OP says 2'' leveling spacer
Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #17

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
No, scocar is correct. The reason you don't hear about many of us using other than a zero setting is because most of us have paired them with aftermarket coils (e.g., Eibachs or OMEs). When installed this way, the springs do the lifting and do not require a pre-loading.
Yup. In fact, the 5100 perches are not designed to take the additional preload of any setting higher than zero with the stronger aftermarket coils like Eibachs an OMEs. They were essentially designed for the stock coils, which have a much lower (weaker) spring rate.

OP, BTW, it seems that you think shocks can be used to change the lift in the rear, but they cannot. With the leaf springs, all you can do is use blocks (poor choice because they increase axle wrap) add-a-leaf (lifts and stiffens ride, but only on leafs that are not worn out/sagging already), shackles (wear out the leafs prematurely), or aftermarket leaf pack, which his the optimal choice, and provides many height options. Whatever type of lift you do in the rear, you need to measure max droop and compression, and get a shock that works fo rthis applciation without bottoming out or topping out.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #18

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
What is your budget?

You can set bilstein 5100's up front w/ stock coils at either stock height, 1'', or 2.5'' (according to DSM)

To me it seems like 2'' is a bit much to level out a stock truck, do you have pictures of how your truck sits now? In my mind it seems like setting the billies to 1'' should be enough to just level it out. But I guess every truck is different depending on the condition of the current suspension components.

You may be able to set the billies to 2.5'' and maybe your stock coils are sagging enough so that it puts it where you want. But that is a gamble, and setting the billies to 2.5 on stock coils will make the front suspension really stiff.

If you have a little more money to spend you can run OME struts and OME 881 coils which would lift your front end right at 2'', and your front end would be nice and cushy.

Good luck!
Can you tell me more about the OME struts and coils, interested in that.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #19

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you tell me more about the OME struts and coils, interested in that.

You havent really told us what is going on at the back end of yoru truck. Is it stock, or does it already have block or something?

I am picturing rgiht now that you have bro lean, with the back stock, and a 2-in lift in the front, making the front about an inch higher than ther back. Did I miss something?

I suggest you check out Wheeler's Offroad web site. They offer the basics on the OME setups front and rear.

Also, someone mentioned the OME 881 setup as "cushy." I would never call it cushy. It is pretty firm, but will soak up the bumps.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #20

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You havent really told us what is going on at the back end of yoru truck. Is it stock, or does it already have block or something?

I am picturing rgiht now that you have bro lean, with the back stock, and a 2-in lift in the front, making the front about an inch higher than ther back. Did I miss something?

I suggest you check out Wheeler's Offroad web site. They offer the basics on the OME setups front and rear.

Also, someone mentioned the OME 881 setup as "cushy." I would never call it cushy. It is pretty firm, but will soak up the bumps.
Back is stock.