1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel bearing question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 96taco4x4, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    96taco4x4

96taco4x4 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 SAS Taco
    hey guys a few mo. ago my front driver side wheel bearing was going out because of the obvious wobble shake, noise, and the play in the tire when you jack it up from side to side, and all of the rest looked fine, so replaced the one that was bad, so about a week ago i started feeling wobbly again this time feeling like it was coming from the front passenger side, and had someone to see if i had left to right wobble as i drove by, and they verified that it was wobbly on the front passenger tire, so after going and buying the new bearing and seals, got the truck jacked up to see if i could feel play left to right which has always been an obvious def for a bad bearing, and i got nothing, can anyone please help determine what else can cause a bad wobble like that? and will you always be able to "feel" left to right play with a bad bearing? Thanks

2. Nov 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    Bent rim - At least on my wifes car anyway, wobble to the wheel, bearings were fine.

Take a close looke, or bring it to a tire shop, they can tell you if it's bent or not.

3. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    McBride513

McBride513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 TRD
    A bad bearing would be indicated by up and down movement when you jack up the tire and shake it. Side to side movement usually means a bad inner or outer tie rod.

4. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    what he said^

5. Nov 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Also if you spin the wheel it should sound like its grinding. You should also be able to here a womp womp while driving at high speeds

6. Nov 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    96taco4x4

96taco4x4 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 SAS Taco
    i appreciate all the help guys, i noticed the upper ball joint is bad on that side, that wouldnt happen to have anything to do with it would it? i mean it is a pretty bad shake around 45-50mph, had the tires balanced, possible alignment perhaps? and i dont remember hitting anything hard enough to bend my rim, wish i had another set to throw on there to check, i did end up switching the two front tires, and the shake is still comin from the front passender side, and i had no movement top to bottom or left to right except a little play in the ball joint, and how do you determine if you have a bad inner or outer tie rod? Thanks again everyone

7. Nov 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Check your tie rod bushings and check for movement or play

Products Discussed in

To Top