Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheel bearing question

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
96taco4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Austen
96taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearing question

hey guys a few mo. ago my front driver side wheel bearing was going out because of the obvious wobble shake, noise, and the play in the tire when you jack it up from side to side, and all of the rest looked fine, so replaced the one that was bad, so about a week ago i started feeling wobbly again this time feeling like it was coming from the front passenger side, and had someone to see if i had left to right wobble as i drove by, and they verified that it was wobbly on the front passenger tire, so after going and buying the new bearing and seals, got the truck jacked up to see if i could feel play left to right which has always been an obvious def for a bad bearing, and i got nothing, can anyone please help determine what else can cause a bad wobble like that? and will you always be able to "feel" left to right play with a bad bearing? Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Bent rim - At least on my wifes car anyway, wobble to the wheel, bearings were fine.

Take a close looke, or bring it to a tire shop, they can tell you if it's bent or not.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
A bad bearing would be indicated by up and down movement when you jack up the tire and shake it. Side to side movement usually means a bad inner or outer tie rod.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
what he said^
Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Also if you spin the wheel it should sound like its grinding. You should also be able to here a womp womp while driving at high speeds
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
96taco4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Austen
96taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
i appreciate all the help guys, i noticed the upper ball joint is bad on that side, that wouldnt happen to have anything to do with it would it? i mean it is a pretty bad shake around 45-50mph, had the tires balanced, possible alignment perhaps? and i dont remember hitting anything hard enough to bend my rim, wish i had another set to throw on there to check, i did end up switching the two front tires, and the shake is still comin from the front passender side, and i had no movement top to bottom or left to right except a little play in the ball joint, and how do you determine if you have a bad inner or outer tie rod? Thanks again everyone
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96taco4x4 View Post
i appreciate all the help guys, i noticed the upper ball joint is bad on that side, that wouldnt happen to have anything to do with it would it? i mean it is a pretty bad shake around 45-50mph, had the tires balanced, possible alignment perhaps? and i dont remember hitting anything hard enough to bend my rim, wish i had another set to throw on there to check, i did end up switching the two front tires, and the shake is still comin from the front passender side, and i had no movement top to bottom or left to right except a little play in the ball joint, and how do you determine if you have a bad inner or outer tie rod? Thanks again everyone
Check your tie rod bushings and check for movement or play