Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what the hell is going on!?!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
mixaro is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
what the hell is going on!?!

ok heres the deal i have a 02 2.7 and it won't start unless i press the gas pedal all the way down, and it won't stay running if i let off the gas. But once it gets up to running temp. its fine. what the hell is going on?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you got a problem
Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i know, it's weird, it started fine, but then i shut it off right after i started it cause i saw that my tool box was open and my tail gate was down, and when i went to start it, it decided to be a pain in the a$$.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Before giving advice to you, does it pop any codes you can check out?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
XwesleysnipesX is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
XwesleysnipesX's Tacoma Gallery
Id have to say a coolant temp sensor. Im not sure what toyota calls it. On my vw thats what is was called. Its dead on the same problem i was having with my corrado. I know its a different make and model. But im pretty sure all cars 96 and newer use them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
So it started fine first thing, you shut if off shortly after starting it, and then it hwas hard starting or you always have to floor it to start it?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
ok it has only happened that one time but yeah i was and still a little concerned about it. It would only start back up when i pressed the gas to the floor and as soon as say i came to a stop sign and would stop and have the clutch pressed in it would stall out, then would not start back up unless i floored the gas pedal. But then after it warmed up it stopped doing it and has not done it again, and it has not thrown any codes.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
SCUMBAG CUSTOMS
Scummy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
Scummy's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a fuel pump, filter, or injector problem
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummy View Post
sounds like a fuel pump, filter, or injector problem
This, is your best bet.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Try cycling the gas pedal 100 times with the truck off.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
to me it sounds like an idle air control valve that may be sticking...try cleaning your throttle body and maf sensor
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
i was hoping it wasn't the pump, injectors, or filter, but it's weird it only did it that one time and it hasn't happened again.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
ive never heard of a sticky iac doing that but i guess it could...
either way, clean that tb! that goes for every person who reads this thread! its such a big deal and nobody ever services their tb for some reason!
when mine was sticking i let off the gas coming to a stop sign and it just cut off, the truck wouldnt stay running unless i had my feet on the gas at all times, cleaned the tb iac and maf and its been running to this day
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Pedal to the floor makes a clear flood condition, shutting off the injectors. It all sounds like a flooding situation possibly caused by the coolant temp sender, a MAP sensor, a TPS, a cold start injector problem, a fuel pressure problem, or any combination of the previous conditions. The fact that it runs better when it warms up makes me think about the temp sender direction but I have seen ECM's fail in similar fashion. You need to get a scanner on it and maybe a scope to see what is really happening.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
Pedal to the floor makes a clear flood condition, shutting off the injectors. It all sounds like a flooding situation possibly caused by the coolant temp sender, a MAP sensor, a TPS, a cold start injector problem, a fuel pressure problem, or any combination of the previous conditions. The fact that it runs better when it warms up makes me think about the temp sender direction but I have seen ECM's fail in similar fashion. You need to get a scanner on it and maybe a scope to see what is really happening.
x2

it can be a giant number of things, over the internet we can only suggest causes and take guesses, take it to a trusted shop that has a scanner that can scan every systems function

(ie with my diesel i had an issue of it defueling under boost, took it to the local diesel shop and ran the scan tool, within 10 minutes it had checked all the electrical systems and found the secondary fuel pump tripping the circuit breaker every few minutes)
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #17

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
yeah one of my friends is a hell of a mechanic, and we hooked it up to his scanner, and the only code it threw was my o2 sensor (which i knew was bad) and thats it. so we did cleaned the map sensor and the throttle body. then we sea foamed it and ran some injector cleaner through it. he figures i probably just got some crap gas (only had a little under a quarter of tank of gas), or maybe my fuel filter. it's just odd that it's running like a champ since that day.