Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Damn. Check engine light on.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
XwesleysnipesX is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
XwesleysnipesX's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. Check engine light on.

Just bought the truck a week ago. And the stinking check engine light came on this morning. Ill scan it when I get home tonight. Runs fine. So who knows. Just venting really.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
probably nothing to be worried about if the truck runs fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

Yeah. But im super anal with my vehicles. So i will have to fix it. oh well. Its just money right! Cant take it with you when you die.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
My money its on 02 sensor!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the positive on your battery for 30 seconds. Then connect it back and see if your light goes off and stays off.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

I thought about that. But I have a scanner at the house. Once I get off work Ill scan it then clear it. Thanks though.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my Tacoma a few months ago and right after I got it home the CEL came on! I knew then the dude had reset it before I came to look at it. At least I know now it has a new o2 sensor that I installed, and that's its an OEM sensor.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever had it before probly reset it before selling to you. Reseting will only prolong the inevitable return of the cel
Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Whoever had it before probly reset it before selling to you. Reseting will only prolong the inevitable return of the cel
That was my first thought. But the day after I bought the truck my work had me go to Chambersburg PA. And that was a 1000mi round trip. I have probably put on 1600mi since i bought it last week. So you think it would have come on then. Oh well. I expected to fix things here and there. It does have 124k on her. No biggie. I just hope its not a cat going out. I had that problem with my 96 taco. And tried to go the cheap route and went aftermarket. Then the light came back on. Went with a oem cat and it never came back on. With the same code anyway. Oh well.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Check the fuel cap. Open it, close it, and make sure it clicks 2 or 3 times.

Will do. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for what it is!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwesleysnipesX View Post
That was my first thought. But the day after I bought the truck my work had me go to Chambersburg PA. And that was a 1000mi round trip. I have probably put on 1600mi since i bought it last week. So you think it would have come on then. Oh well. I expected to fix things here and there. It does have 124k on her. No biggie. I just hope its not a cat going out. I had that problem with my 96 taco. And tried to go the cheap route and went aftermarket. Then the light came back on. Went with a oem cat and it never came back on. With the same code anyway. Oh well.
My system too lean code takes about 1-2 weeks to come back on. And that's after 1000+ miles. my 02 sensors would take about a week to come back on..
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Check the fuel cap. Open it, close it, and make sure it clicks 2 or 3 times.
That is never usually the problem for our 1st gens
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #17

Well i just got home from work. The code is a PO446.
My gas cap is tight. My guess is a charcoal canister. Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Drunk Canadian

P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

What does that mean?

Evap vent valve has only one purpose. It closes in order to seal the vent so the EVAP system can pressurize and ensure there are no leaks. Evap vent valve is usually supplied Batt. voltage with key on. The ECM's driver controls the ground, and when grounded, activates the valve (closing it). If the ECM detects a short to ground, and open,or a short to battery voltage on the control circuit, P0446 will set. Code also may refer to ECM detecting that EVAP system is unable to achieve or maintain vacuum during test.

Symptoms

There will be no obvious symptoms to driver, other than MIL illumination.

Causes

A code P0446 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty vent valve
Open, short or excessive resistance on Vent valve control circuit
Blockage of vent valve
Bad PCM
Possible Solutions

With a P0446 OBD-II trouble code, here are some things to try:

Replace Vent valve
Repair open, short, or resistance problem in control circuit
Repair open, or short, or resistance problem in power circuit
Replace PCM