LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Running rich?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Running rich?

Hey all, still unfamiliar with this 2.7L motor, and 'yotas in general, but a tune up is a tune up, right? I swapped the plugs, wires, and cleaned the MAF (didn't touch, sprayed with MAF cleaner only.) The last couple starts smelled pretty rich, so I just pulled the plugs and they're all sooty already. The plugs I swapped out were kinda grey. The new ones are definitely black - there's maybe 30 miles on 'em. I had the battery unplugged for a while, so I assume there was an ECU reset and it needs to relearn? Anyway, I regapped the plugs a bit wider than the .032 that Autozone recommended; I've read different gaps on the various online info for this motor.

No CEL though; am I just paranoid? The truck seems to run smooth and idles nice and low now, like 600-700 rpms.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
killzone90 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ethan
killzone90's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of plugs u running
Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
I put the new NGK wires and V-power plugs in at 0.032 and ran it for a few days, but I just regapped them to 0.042.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Check your temp sensors, air and coolant and O2 sensor, for proper operation. Also, after replacing a sensor or doing a tune-up, disconnect the battery for 15 min to reset the ECU. It will start with the factory parameters for the fuel mix.
Marginal temp sensors will not set a code; they will just cause fuel and timing related problems. The ECU will think it's running in a cold or hot envioronment when it isn't.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
My '04 runs pretty rich when first started (you can smell it), then leans out to normal. Has always done this.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigger View Post
My '04 runs pretty rich when first started (you can smell it), then leans out to normal. Has always done this.
Have you checked your plugs lately? Mine are nicely blackened. 30 or so miles since installed. I regapped and drove another 25, so I'm curious to see if time helps. Just to be safe, I unplugged the battery while I was at work so the ECU should be all nice n reset.

In a completely unrelated story, I made fast friends with a local gearhead - the real deal, old school, Stingrays and Goats and 'cudas (oh my!) etc. Chatted about the "old days" for a while, and it turns out he owns a body shop. I deftly steered the conversation to this "sweet '99 taco out of AZ with no rust and a sunburned paint job" and he told me to bring it in, he'd set me up. Two-stage, factory color, all emblems replaced, door dings removed for, drum roll.... $1500! I've seen his work, this place does not mess around. Only thing is, I owe him a ride in the old man's '57.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Have you checked your plugs lately? Mine are nicely blackened. 30 or so miles since installed. I regapped and drove another 25, so I'm curious to see if time helps. Just to be safe, I unplugged the battery while I was at work so the ECU should be all nice n reset.

In a completely unrelated story, I made fast friends with a local gearhead - the real deal, old school, Stingrays and Goats and 'cudas (oh my!) etc. Chatted about the "old days" for a while, and it turns out he owns a body shop. I deftly steered the conversation to this "sweet '99 taco out of AZ with no rust and a sunburned paint job" and he told me to bring it in, he'd set me up. Two-stage, factory color, all emblems replaced, door dings removed for, drum roll.... $1500! I've seen his work, this place does not mess around. Only thing is, I owe him a ride in the old man's '57.

Nice deal!