Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The FREE Blinker Light Relocation Mod

Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
The FREE Blinker Light Relocation Mod

So after i bought my Elite bumper i had to redo my blinkers to move them to the corner lights. Now while there are several ways to just rewire the marker lights to become your blinkers..for some reason i didn't feel like doing that. So i came up with this instead. by drilling out a hole with notches in it, i could just plug in the original blinker bulb into the market light housing WITH the marker bulb in it at the same time. No wiring required. Granted it does take a long time to do, but it works. And if you don't feel like wiring stuff, this is the way to go.

So first you have to take out the corner light housing and marker light. Then thread up the blinker bulb light up to the corner.

Now you HAVE to disconect at least one of the blinker bulbs to get the mount. This is your template to cut and notch out your new hole. Don't just guess. You want as tight a seal as possible, so you need this and yes, it is a classic Toyota connector so...its a major PITA to get apart

So now you have your corner light. Some of these pics are of my new clear corners and some of my OEM ones. The shiny ones are the newer ones and have the white tab over the marker light hole. Please disregard the tab. Its just for shipping purposes, you do not want to cover the marker light hole as you will be putting the marker light back in.

drill a small hole below the marker light. You can use a 1'' bit if you'd like too. I would not recommend going any larger tho as you can fine touch up the hole with a file instead of overshooting and having too large of a hole. Or just start small and file it out larger. I did both ways. Filing out takes much more time(obviously) but works. So if you don't have a 1'' bit, no worries.

Small drilled hole

Large drilled hole

either way after you have drilled get a round file and go to town. You want the light mount to fit nice a snug with as little space between the housing and mount as possible. Once i start going in, it'll catch on the tabs. You then have to notch out for the tabs. do this with a file as well or dremel. Its just plastic. Whatever way you want to cut it all out will work..just don't cut to much..Here is one of mine..not a prettier one..

Then the mount should sit nice a tight

Then used compressed air to clean out the housing, you prolly won't be able to get it all out, but get as much as possible.

Now just reassemble! I will get videos up soon of how it looks at night. Its actually VERY bright. works great really.

Also if you still have your half amber housings, you will NOT have to change out bulbs! The blinker bulb sits so close to the amber side that it'll be plenty amber. here is a pic of the BLINKER light on not the marker light(tho it is on as well).

If you are going to be running clear corners..you had better get some amber bulbs.

Videos of it in action coming soon!

For 98-00(I have been told this works great!)

For 01-04s(should also work with 98-00)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.VR4 View Post
As he said ^, the best way is to do it like this: *see attachment*

You will need to cut the mounting area out of your old blinkers and shape it, as best you can, to the blinker housing. What gaps you still have will just be filled in by the silicone. Mine work really well that way

...otherwise you dont have enough room inside the blinker housing. (I know from personal experience )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
in the process of finishing, took some good stage photo's for anyone else 01-04 that may want to look at some. will upload after I am finished.

cutting the housing off the blinker cover

corner marker light, housing, blinker cover

drilling a 1" hole in the corner marker light

hole just a little to small for the bulb to sink in.

dremel to make the hole a bit wider for the bulbs

new hole for the bulb

tapeing the light to the corner marker light so i can glue it in the right spot. I did this to insure that the bulb would fit when plugged in and not hit the sides of my drilled hole, you could match the hole size of the housing, but I liked this better.

glue

remove tape and twist the bulb out but leave the housing. be very careful not to rip the sealed glue. i did and had to redo it, and put lots of pressure on the housing during removal. I mean I'm sure if you had patients and just let it dry completely. I also added more glue after this stage. Like previously sad, only did this to ensure that the bulb would go into the 1" hole.

vulkem as a sealant.

dryyying.

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/u...-48-53_839.mp4 <this link will take you to the video if it doesn't play.

List of Confirmed members running it

Blackdawg
igarrpan
Cr250jumper
Jonyd182
SupraT
4WD
Banjohauler
Taco me elmo
Taco.VR4
ponethousand
Ipreferwater
Stubbs95tacoma
Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Way ta go! Awesome job and a great write up.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
awesome. This is what I am going to do when I get o/r bumpers.

Nice work.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I hate where the blinkers are on our trucks, doesn't look right in the valence. And higher=more visible. And I love the way your truck has turned out. The Elite bumper looks mean...I am just too poor for it...lol...Gotta love the 95-97 front ends too
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #10

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
and cool steel/lavender steel metallic FTMFW!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
rayny1014 is on a distinguished road
rayny1014's Tacoma Gallery
i did this mod on my 04 today , works great.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
cool job! now if i did this to my truck without changing bumpers, would the old lights in the valence no longer function? would i be able to wire those up to turn on when i turn on my brights?

No, you are litereally taking the bulb that twists out of the blinker housing and puting it in your corner light. So the lights would not do anything.

BUT what you could do is put some afftermarket lights in place of the blinkers and wire them for fog lights.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
yeah i figured thats what id do...just hoping some of our magical electricity whizzes had an idea of how to wire those up to turn on with the brights....but i guess i will do this mod, then put some cheap lights in there and a new switch in the car like a normal person would...

well if you get new lights then yes you could wire them to turn on with the brights. Id just wire in a seperate switch tho as it'll give you more control of when they are on and such.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool stuff but for me it's a 15 minute job to re-wire it and re-sleeve the plastic protector on.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
true, but there is no way your throwing the same kinda light as i am
LED's nignog.