Notices

195,000 Miles---What Oil?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
gatrapper is on a distinguished road

Name: CJ
gatrapper's Tacoma Gallery
195,000 Miles---What Oil?

Hey Y'all,

My 98 has 195,000 miles. I have always just had the generic oil from the shop put in there when I took it to have the oil changed.

Im going to start changing the oil myself and want to use the good stuff.

Was thinking maybe a 5W-30--synthetic or not?

I have heard that using synthetic on a high milage engine like mine that has never used the stuff may not be good.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
pick a brand and stick with it, keep changing the oil at the maintenance schedule, drive the hell out of it

I used the normal quaker state on my '99 and it was running flawlessly at 196,000. My Honda CRX went to 225,000 on normal quaker state with regular oil changes. The most important thing is that you change it regularly.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Last oil change on my Honda Accord it had 231,000 on it. The service guy recommended going with a 30 weight oil. I did and mine is still running great.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
With that many miles.....I would not go with synthetic.

Synthetics tend to act as cleaning agents and helps remove sludge (so to speak). Using synthetics now - may cause new leaks to develop.

I switched to synthetic on my 96 with 60K miles and I developed a leak down at the oil pan and a slight lifter tap after owning it a couple years.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
racerxtaco will become famous soon enoughracerxtaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Joey
racerxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
stay with whats working for you, and it seems like faithful regular oil changes with conventional is the way to go. keep up the good work and your truck will reward you with many more years of reliability.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Synthetics tend to act as cleaning agents and helps remove sludge (so to speak). Using synthetics now - may cause new leaks to develop.
I concur, Doctor.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I switched to synthetic on my 96 with 60K miles and I developed a leak down at the oil pan and a slight lifter tap after owning it a couple years.
this is a well spread myth, and is not true.

Synthetics do not create leaks, but will show a bad seal sooner than dino oil because the molecules in synthetic are smaller and will creep their way through an infant leak quicker than dino oil. There are no detergents in synthetic that will eat away at your seals. The seal was already going bad and the synthetic is just "pointing it out" quicker, it would eventually leak with dino oil too.

I switched to synthetic at 160k miles and have had no problems so far and I am at 175k miles.

OP: My recommendation is to start using synthetic, but whatever oil you use (dino or synthetic) make sure you change it at regular intervals and use a good paper air filter to keep your oil clean.

I believe 5w30 oil is what is recommended for our trucks.

Avoid fram and STP oil filters (Use OEM oil filters and air filters, best option IMO)

My favorite dino oil is castrol, favorite synthetic is mobile 1 or castrol. And I either use a mobile1/K&N oil filter or an OEM toyota oil filter.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Sounds like you got 195K from your engine without a major problem - maybe we should be asking YOU what oil to use
Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
gatrapper is on a distinguished road

Name: CJ
gatrapper's Tacoma Gallery
Alright y'all guess I will stick with what I have been using. Never have had a single problem with the truck *knock on wood* so I won't change now.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
I have using Fram and Mobile one synthetic for 172k miles.... zero problems man
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
marcchrisv is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
marcchrisv's Tacoma Gallery
if you switch to synth you have to forever use synth.. also, due to the slightly lower viscosity of the synth oil and higher detergent cleaining level you might find leaks. I've been running synth in my truck since 99K (now at 236K) and never had a problem though.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Have heard the same thing about SWITCHING to SYN--I would stay w\what you have been using. Ran havolin 10-40--in my 91- 4 banger-200k miles--never a problem.
Gone but not forgotten--miss that truck SOLD IT--running GREAT.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Your engine was designed for regular oil, stick with it.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcchrisv View Post
if you switch to synth you have to forever use synth
This is also a popular myth that is not true. But with that many miles on the engine already, why switch?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
ive got 190,000 on my engine now and get the oil changes at Toyota using their oil which is Mobile1. The guys at Toyota were taking bets on how far my engine will go on the regular maintenece schedule I have my truck on, they all believe it will easily go 300,000!

Gotta love Toyota quality
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
hulkit is on a distinguished road

hulkit's Tacoma Gallery
not too long ago i just did some maintenance on my truck

lets see i did trans dex3 with filter
changed my differential with synthetic 75w90
and changed from normal 5w30 to synth 5w30

if your going to change to synth i would recommend doing the 5oz seafoam in the oilpan

btw i did that around october 16 at 296678 Miles

and as of now its been running in my system for about 2k miles and running great

always check my fluid levels and my pan under my truck no leaks as of yet so ya im running it on high miles and havnt had any problems and have actually seen some increase in MPG by doing all of it

hope this helps
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
300k96Tacoma is on a distinguished road
300k96Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has 307k on it now its a 96, I have been using mobil 1 super 5w30 high mileage conventional oil for awhile now and I think its a good oil to use. There aren't many 5w30 high mileage oils and I feel mobil 1 is the best but like others have said, use what has been working for you!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Keep doing what you have been doing. If it works why change?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
over 260k on mine and i use royal purple full synthetic