Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installing rear wiper on a topper?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Installing rear wiper on a topper?

I searched and only got one result (someone's build thread) that had nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Has anyone installed a rear wiper on a topper? Replete with a reservoir for wiper fluid?

There are times I really wish I had this.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

Sounds like a lot of work, I'm interested to see if this has been done. I'm currently looking for a defroster system I could throw on there but this would be cool too!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub. and just wondering why this is in 1st gen? seams to me like both 1st and 2nd gen taco’s could benefit from it. or is that just my thinking?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Here's something I came across for frost, I'm still researching but so far looks promising.
http://www.frostfighter.com/catalog.htm
Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
wouldnt be to difficult. ony issue i forsee is mounting the motor for the wiper assembly, as for a resi for washer fluid you can pick up many generic setups from your local auto parts stores. Id imagine if you run down to your local junk yard and find one from the rear it would do what you want, but like i said, motor mount would be the difficult part.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I don't look through the windows of my topper. That's what back up cameras are for. Thanks Toyota.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
this would def work: http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm
not too expensive, and easy wiring also
Have you done this? I'm hesitant because the topper rear window is not glass. Any heat issues with the plastic?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Have you done this? I'm hesitant because the topper rear window is not glass. Any heat issues with the plastic?
NO, I havn't done it but seems like it would work just fine for my set-up. I do have a glass rear window. Maybe contact the company and see if it can be used w/ plastic windows..

what type of topper do you have? Plastic windows??
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Reading the FAQ, it says window tint can be installed over the Clear View defroster. It doesn't specify what type of tint, but if its OK w/ the plastic tint film, I don't see why it wouldn't work on a plastic window also.

Over time it may dis-color the plastic which would be counter-productive
Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NO, I havn't done it but seems like it would work just fine for my set-up. I do have a glass rear window. Maybe contact the company and see if it can be used w/ plastic windows..

what type of topper do you have? Plastic windows??
Mine's an ARE. I don't know if it's plastic, maybe some sort of polycarbonate type stuff, but definitely not glass.

Thanks for the info though, I might have to give this a go!

OP, sorry for the thread jack, wasn't trying to de-rail your thread
Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #13

I have an ARE also an older one, mine is def tempered glass. Let me know if you try this, looks cool.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP

In regards to the rear wiper; I just looked at my set-up and the hinged window seems like it would be hard to work around. Like Greensystemsgo stated, the motor mount will be the issue

How are rear wipers set-up on 4Runners/Highlanders in general?? IIRC the motors are commonly installed into the bottom portion of the rear "hatch" with the wiper extending upward; so w/ our tailgates we lose that option. idk, just thinkin out loud
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have an ARE also an older one, mine is def tempered glass. Let me know if you try this, looks cool.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP

In regards to the rear wiper; I just looked at my set-up and the hinged window seems like it would be hard to work around. Like Greensystemsgo stated, the motor mount will be the issue

How are rear wipers set-up on 4Runners/Highlanders in general?? IIRC the motors are commonly installed into the bottom portion of the rear "hatch" with the wiper extending upward; so w/ our tailgates we lose that option. idk, just thinkin out loud
Will do!

I'm guessing you could retrofit a wiper system from something like a Rav-$ or Highlander. Whatever SUV has the wiper at the top of the window. The issue would be mounting, the wiper arm and motor would have to be mounted to the glass itself, or you'd have to custom make a piece of glass, notch it and fill it with metal or something strong that could support the torque of the motor and extra weight. Here's a cut of a wiper arm mount. You could drill out the topper window and maybe put a stronger support on the inside, maybe a 1/8" steel back plate for rigidity. The wiper fluid would be the easier part since it can be located anywhere as long as you can route a hose to the wiper. It of course would mean another hole in the rear topper window though.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest looking into a Jeep hardtop rear wiper setup. I have a YJ with a hardtop and the rear wiper is a hinged setup.

Interior mounting
Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^that looks pretty doable!

However it wouldn't work for someone w/ a 3rd brake light like I have on my cap. You would want the wiper centered and that is exaclty where the light is

Pugga - that pic shows a rear defroster too lol
Hell yes!

I'll probably do the defroster, not the wiper. I want it to defrost in the morning because I have to back out onto a busy street but I grew up driving dump bodies so it doesn't bother me not being able to see out the back once I'm driving.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
heres another Jeep, this one has a thru-glass wiper
http://www.jollyjeepers.org/members/..._rear_full.jpg
Just my $0.02 but I would think that's the way to go.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
you could do bottom mounting, generally the motor is simply a splined stud you could simply move the wiper arm.