Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snorkel and Fiberglass fenders?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Snorkel and Fiberglass fenders?

Anyone done this? There are plenty of people that think a snorkel is purely for looks but I in fact actually "need" my snorkel a few times a year so it's staying. But I'm considering some fiberglass front fenders and brainstorming how I can still make the snorkel work with it.

My options are.....

A)Make a custom snorkel pipe where it exits the fender and goes up the A pillar.

B)Attempt to mount safari snorkel on the glass fender. It will change the angle but I think I could still work. It might require heating and bending the top where the airdam attaches.

C) Forget about the glass fenders

D) Forget about the Snorkel......as I said before....without some serious convincing, it's staying.

If anyone has pics, that's even better.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i have brought it up but some people say it would look stupid. but i dont think so.

whats your reasoning for glass fenders? 35s?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
i have brought it up but some people say it would look stupid. but i dont think so.

whats your reasoning for glass fenders? 35s?
Clearance is one reason. I might go with 35's in the future, but I think its more likely that I'll SAS before 35's. Either way the added clearance of the glass fenders is good.

A lot of the trips we do are long distance desert trips with lots of high speed stuff. The truck works fine as is, but it's giving me the itch for medium travel front end, or possibly full long travel. If I go this direction, obviously wouldn't be doing a SAS.

Biggest reason......gotta be honest......purely looks. Love the wide glass fenders. And doing it with a snorkel would be different from everyone else.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
Im not familiar with what the snorkal piping is made out of but if its similar to PVC conduit i dont see why you couldnt heat it up with a torch and flex it back to the A pillar
Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
tired

The snorkels are heavy polyethylene not ABS or PVC plastic, but I've seen them be heated and reshaped. So yeah, I know that would be an option.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...kel-install-5/
found this on a tundra... but its made out of PVC pipe pretty cheesy
Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
tired

Sorry, but that looks like garbage. If I can't make it look better than that, I'm not doing it.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
SOLUTION: Get your glass fenders and send me your snorkel you can even pay for shipping

Back to reality: I am sure you would have no problem mounting the snorkel in glass fenders. I dont think the angle of the fender changes radically where the snorkel would exit. Even if its a little bit a little tweaking and some heating/bending would get it back to where you need it
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Sorry, but that looks like garbage. If I can't make it look better than that, I'm not doing it.
Oh I totally agree... I think you should just be able to heat the snorkel up and bend it out a little bit to shape to the bumper, but let us know what you end up doing
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
So you need the snorkel for sand not water, I remember seeing a Baja 500 racing truck where the air intake was routed into the cab and the rear window was modified with a couple of large round air cleaners to filter the air coming into the cab. Of course if you wheel with the windows open that kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
pairodice is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
pairodice's Tacoma Gallery
if u are set on snorkel and glass fenders. find a good bodyshop, glass fenders fit like shit to begin with so when u fit them just have what ever extension built on the fender so u dont cut the snorkel much. then heatform the piece on the fender or u might have to french it in a bit so it look like it should be there. if u cant find a body shop try a boat shop, those guys can build anything out of glass
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the air intakes for my old vw into my cab for cleaner air, that lasted about 8 mins, loud as Hell!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Custom 12g steel B.A.M.F snorkel or even aluminium
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
tired

holy crap that's some heavy gauge material for a snorkel, let's see it!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I also asked myself this question a few months ago. I would like to go LT but also have a snorkel. Im going to try to go LT with stock fenders and trim them a ton and run some high backspaced wheels. Heres is thread that has some pictures.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11167
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
holy crap that's some heavy gauge material for a snorkel, let's see it!
Yep I'll be building one for my truck when I do my swap.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Custom 12g steel B.A.M.F snorkel or even aluminium

Sounds right to me. 1/2 of mine is 3" exhaust now.
I would imagine any exhaust guy could slap one together fairly quick.

Making one that looks good as well as functions good is where the time and skills come into play.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Yep I'll be building one for my truck when I do my swap.
If you need a second gen ill volunteer my truck
Old 02-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just gonna leave this here

Snorkel would have saved me, but gawd i hate the way they look.