Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen front tube bumper / turn signal opinion needed

View Poll Results: Side marker mod or orange after market lights?
Side marker mod 12 80.00%
Orange lights 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question 1st gen front tube bumper / turn signal opinion needed

I'm building a front bumper for a 04 five lug. I'll have some better pics soon. It's a pretty standard style except I'm doing a couple weld in fill plates, the license plate will mount to the top of the skid plate with 3 dimple die holes under the license plate on the skid plate.

It has 2 light tabs and this bumper will have a standard light protector bar on top of the main tube that'll be flat but will offer the option for a round stinger in the future. I like stingers, but not huge ones.

This is where I'm looking for some opinions regarding the turn signals the guy wants to have on the bumper....

Him and I both know about the turn signal mod to make the side markers flash but he bought these orange ones, so I'm going to add them. I'm going to let him decide tomorrow before I weld the brackets on.

What do you guys think?

#1. without ? just do side marker mod?

#2. or here? kind of the standard place

#3. or here? I thought about doing a round dimple die hole in the fill plate and mounting the light behind it but decided since the skid plate is going to have 3 holes on the bottom it would be too many holes and look too busy, or like a piece of swiss cheese. (even though I love swiss chese)

#4. or here?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I'm stuck between #2 and #4
Yeah me too. I think #2 will look good and even though I'm not really digging the lights too much right now, I think it'll end up looking good once the black and orange contrast each other.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
also #4 looks kinda like it could get damaged easily if the bumper took a hit, but that might just be the way I'm looking at the picture

I agree that it'll look good once some paint goes on too

and that I am officially jelly of whoever this bumper is going to
Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Turn signal mod.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a fan of the dimple-die hole... but get those small round lights and recess them into the bumper kinda like these : http://www.texaschromeshop.com/webst...dproduct=16834

Only less chrome... and not 25 of them. I think that's the cleanest mounting option if you want them to be on the bumper. Otherwise just stick 'em in the corner lights.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
GeorgiaCowboy is on a distinguished road
Name: matthew
GeorgiaCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
i am definatley interested in one of these looks awesome! i like first way you have the blinker!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...ignal-kit.html

Would these help ?????
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
bumper looks GOOOOD

Cant wait to see it finished and mounted.

I personally would do the corner light mod (KISS)

But if the customer wants those signals, go #2 for sure. Too low and they are vulnerable to damage.

And a couple of ??? from a potential buyer:

Stock skids compatible?

Winch Mount Possible?

DOM or HREW?

Recovery points?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
#3 is less likely to get damaged Brian..your main bar will hit first before the light will.
It'd be nice to countersink it in the back and flush it with one of the fill plates..but that's just my opinion.
Keep the signal light straight though, so you'll have to notch the fill plate out, then build a bracket in the back that runs parallel with the main bar..so it's even..not turned at an angle to match the line of the fill plate.

My .2
Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Put them in your parking lights. Thats where mine are.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Taco Vending Machine

Here's the bumper. I need to note also, this guy's truck is a 04 5 lug that most likely will never see any real world abuse off road. He kind of threw a wrench in my gears a few weeks ago when he said he wanted to have front and rear tube bumpers (I did his rear a while back) but drop the truck a few inches. He's calling it a "Nascar Theme".

I'm not into building things too different than the way I prefer to make stuff, so I just went ahead and made him a off road style front bumper. He text me yesterday and said he loves it, so that's good.

He chose to mount the lights down low with a bracket I made (vulnerable off road, I know) and will send me some pics any day here I'm sure. I kept this bumper on the simple side and didn't add a whiole lot of extra bracing since I knew the plans this guy had for the future and how it would be used.

I have a guy bringing me a 01-04 6 lug in a matter of weeks and have plans on keeping a day or two extra and building a fixture so I can build more without needing a truck to build from, which is what I did with this 5 lug one.

Thanks for posting up comments and adding some links to items I didn't know existed guys, appreciated!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Here's the bumper. I need to note also, this guy's truck is a 04 5 lug that most likely will never see any real world abuse off road. He kind of threw a wrench in my gears a few weeks ago when he said he wanted to have front and rear tube bumpers (I did his rear a while back) but drop the truck a few inches. He's calling it a "Nascar Theme".

I'm not into building things too different than the way I prefer to make stuff, so I just went ahead and made him a off road style front bumper. He text me yesterday and said he loves it, so that's good.

He chose to mount the lights down low with a bracket I made (vulnerable off road, I know) and will send me some pics any day here I'm sure. I kept this bumper on the simple side and didn't add a whiole lot of extra bracing since I knew the plans this guy had for the future and how it would be used.

I have a guy bringing me a 01-04 6 lug in a matter of weeks and have plans on keeping a day or two extra and building a fixture so I can build more without needing a truck to build from, which is what I did with this 5 lug one.

Thanks for posting up comments and adding some links to items I didn't know existed guys, appreciated!

That looks AWESOME...I like it a lot. What would be the approximate price point on a bumper like that? And will the six lug bumper be similar/same in design? I like how it doesn't use the factory recovery point mounts (the two/four bolt holes on the underside of the frame) Those holes are all jacked up and bent out of shape because of some really rough recoveries in the past

Can't wait to see the 6 lug bumper fabbed up!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
when you fab up the 6 lug bumper one suggestion is to make it compatible w/ the stock skids
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I would do 2 or 3. Definitely not 4 though
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
SCUMBAG CUSTOMS
Scummy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
Scummy's Tacoma Gallery
I have small led light for mine mounted right above the bumper on the grill piece under the light. Don't have to worry as much about breaking em
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummy View Post
I have small led light for mine mounted right above the bumper on the grill piece under the light. Don't have to worry as much about breaking em
Do you have any pics of this mod?