Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Warm start issues

Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Pol500 is on a distinguished road

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
Warm start issues

Truck starts fine when its cold but if the engines warm it will turn over fine but when it fires it sputters for a second and then runs good. It runs perfect any other time, full throttle, idle etc. No codes either. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on it? How long ago did this start? Have you replaced anything on it recently?

Fink
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #3

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the truck for six months and its done it the whole time I've had it. Truck has 173,000 mi. New plugs and wires, cleaned throttle body, seafoam through intake and gas tank, and cleaned any easily accessible sensor.
I've had an injector go on another car and it's similar to that, kinda like its getting to much gas on warm start up and flooding itself, but unlike my other car my mpgs are about were they should be.

Are there any sensors that are prone to failure on these trucks?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Check , clean maf sensor
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Taco View Post
Check , clean maf sensor
Would a gummed up MAF cause warm-start issues though? I was going to suggest that but I wasn't sure if it would play a role or not.

Either way, cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea.

Fink
Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #6

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
Yep cleaned that too, actually had some MAF cleaner.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel filter ever been done? I have no idea if that would cause this, but it'd be a good idea to change it anyway.

Fink
Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
wonder if u have a leaky injector -worse when warm
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

Pol500's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fuel filter ever been done? I have no idea if that would cause this, but it'd be a good idea to change it anyway.
Sorry forgot to add that, that was changed also.
Quote:
wonder if u have a leaky injector -worse when warm
Like I said I had one go on my car and it acted the same way but on my car I was getting worse mileage and I'm getting about 17-18 around town and 18-20 on the highway with the tacoma so not sure if it would be that or not. On my car (Intrepid 3.2 v6) you had access to all of them and if you listened with a stethoscope you could actually here the bad injector sounded different then the others with the engine running. But on the truck it looks like you could only get two of them and they look like a pain to change so I really hope it's not that. Has anyone ever had an injector go on these trucks?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking you have a v-6? if you do its below.

injectors on the v-6 (5vz-fe) are not that bad to change. Take the throttle body off. Take the intake off both upper and lower ( it comes in halfs) There are alot of bolts maybe 14 to get the intake off. both bolts to watch out for one is behind the intake and one beside where the support is at on the drivers side engine. If my memory is correct its a 12 mm bolts and 10 mm bolts. some where a 14mm bolts also. ( brain fart tonight) .

When you get the injectors back on and this will save you some time. Bypass the fuel pump relay and let the fuel pump run 30 seconds is fine. That way you can check for leaks before you put the intake back on. I had a cracked injector once only way i found it was by doing it this way.

I used this guy here for all my replacement on injectors they all have been great with no problems. http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/impor...jectors/toyota.