Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Getting all the dents out, fresh paint, new seats, and new quarter windows

Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
All those moments will be lost in time
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
Name: Guy
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
***UPDATE PICS*** Getting all the dents out, fresh paint, new seats,

So, I'm giving my 98 Tacoma a facelift. It's 13 years old and it shows between the scratches, dents, fading, and cracking paint. This has been a long time in the works and it's all finally coming together. Phase 1: fix dents and paint to include fender flares. Phase 2: Rhinoline the skirts and flares. Phase 3: Sliders with quarter panel armor.

The first thing to do was fix all the dents, especially the giant crease in my driver's side quarter panel where some stupid b!tch slid into me back up in Alaska. I haven't seen that side smooth for almost four years now.

Here a few more of many. What I'm super-stoked about and was a major source of contention for me was the fact that my quarter windows were the gray tint "privacy" style, which meant that they had a silver sheen and were reflective. It was a small thing but one thing I always noticed, mainly because it didn't match anything else on my truck or the front window tint. So, I ordered some clear ones and just had them tinted and installed.

Here's an older picture of my truck and you can see the difference.

Here's what part of my reenlistment paid for: Corbeau Baja RS seats. I can not wait to try them out. An added bonus to getting rid of that goddammed 60/40 bench is that I can put a center console in and have two functional cup holders. Oh the joy!

That's it for now. It should be getting primed and painted in the next two weeks and I'll post more then. ***Here is the current progress on the body work and paint. Still working to get everything installed and put back together so more to follow on that.

I'm loving the look of the flares but they won't be that way for long since I'm rhinolining them. It's nice to see all the dents out, too.

This is where I had the huge crease in my quarter panel where that lady slid into me up in Alaska. I can't even tell that anything was there.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
keep us updated.... id love to put some seats in mine, whatd those run u? im searchin CL like a hawk. there are sliders available for our tacos right?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVY View Post
An added bonus to getting rid of that goddammed 60/40 bench is that I can put a center console in and have two functional cup holders. Oh the joy!
Just make sure you get a 2000-04 console.

1998 cup holders are the furthest thing from functional.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
AGREED!!!!!!^^^ i modded mine tho
Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
biggie is on a distinguished road

Name: Collin
biggie's Tacoma Gallery
more pics of the seats? im planning on getting those in month or two
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
keep us updated.... id love to put some seats in mine, whatd those run u? im searchin CL like a hawk. there are sliders available for our tacos right?
It was $865 total for both seats, brackets, and shipping. I'm looking at having some sliders fabbed like tigerfan00's.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Just make sure you get a 2000-04 console.

1998 cup holders are the furthest thing from functional.
Good advice! I've been looking at some aftermarket ones and the measurements seem like it'll fit. I'm going to wait to pull the trigger on that one, though.

Where were you able to find a 2000-2004 console?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVY View Post
Good advice! I've been looking at some aftermarket ones and the measurements seem like it'll fit. I'm going to wait to pull the trigger on that one, though.

Where were you able to find a 2000-2004 console?
Only through Toyota and for the whole assembly they want something like $280

No thanks.

Been scouring here and on junkyard sites, but alas... you don't find too many 2000-04 Tacomas in the yards.

I think for now I am going to just try and add some sort of "walls" to the existing cup holders to hold the drinks in place.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

biggie's Tacoma Gallery
which seat brackets did you go with?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Austintaco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Austintaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing this out there for the seat discussion. I hated the seats in my 03, and I switched them out for some leather power heated seats from a.....hate to admit this.....Pontiac G6. I sniped/stole them on ebay from a local LKQ yard for less than $200. What a difference. The heat is probably the best feature and something I will have in every vehicle from now on.

I have a write up somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #12

GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post
which seat brackets did you go with?
I went with the Corbeau universal sliding ones. They're about $100 a piece. Just got a 2001 tan console to install, as well. I can't wait to have cup holders!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintaco View Post
Just throwing this out there for the seat discussion. I hated the seats in my 03, and I switched them out for some leather power heated seats from a.....hate to admit this.....Pontiac G6. I sniped/stole them on ebay from a local LKQ yard for less than $200. What a difference. The heat is probably the best feature and something I will have in every vehicle from now on.

I have a write up somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
please find it
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #14

biggie's Tacoma Gallery
in az we dont need heated seats
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Go for a Tuffy center console over the OEM one.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Go for a Tuffy center console over the OEM one.
I've searched for aftermarket center consoles.

What Tuffy center console (preferably with cup holders) will fit a 1998 Ext. Cab with 5MT and bucket seats?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Tommy Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Mitch
Tommy Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Did you repaint using the same Toyota black or something different?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #19

GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I've searched for aftermarket center consoles.

What Tuffy center console (preferably with cup holders) will fit a 1998 Ext. Cab with 5MT and bucket seats?
The website shows a 6.5" width model. I think that would fit.