Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dropping ATM Oil pan - Is this gasket okay?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
STree will become famous soon enough
STree's Tacoma Gallery
Dropping ATM Oil pan - Is this gasket okay?

So I am dropping the pan today in conjunction with draining and filling the ATM fluid. This will be my first time dropping the pan. I am planning on purchasing the synthetic rubber gasket made my Fel-Pro (available locally at Advance Auto Parts). Link below with information on the technology:

http://www.federalmogul.com/en/After...ansmissionPan/

Does anyone have experience with this type of gasket? Is it okay to use? Would the use of a cork, regular rubber, Toyota gunk, or other aftermark FIPG be a better material?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
the website looks pretty legit if that tells you anything. id try it.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
hulkit is on a distinguished road

hulkit's Tacoma Gallery
ya i dropped my pan for the first time and got a normal gasket

just fyi when u pull the pan down the original gasket will be stuck to iether side and when i say stuck i mean REALLLY stuck if u can manage to take it out with the pan it will be much easier to clean it off then on the transmission part

oh ya and dont try and take a knife to it try not to scratch the oilpan too much use alcohol or some other thing to loosen the old gasket off

oh ya are you getting a trans filter also? cause i would recommend changing it if your down there
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i always used permatex silicone gasket maker in the grey color, my trans pan, both diffs, engine oil pan are all used with it and only my front diff leaks a few drops, but then again i do bash shit with it

also first gen filters are magnetic and just clean off
Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Fel-pro cork gasket material with good results. I'd imagine that their rubber stuff is good too.

Be careful stripping your old gasket material and stay away from any steel gasket scrapers. Those things are nothing but easy ways to gouge your gasket surfaces.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Would kitchen grade steal wool do the trick?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Gaskets are made to leak. Scrape your mating surfaces clean of all old gasket material. I use gasket scrapers, but if you don't have that availability, anything from a plastic or metal putty knife to a screw driver will do the job. As previously posted, be careful not to gouge the mating surfaces. It's hard not to scratch a lil, but gouges will be bad. Some sort of silicone gasket maker material will do the job, like RTV. Blue is for water pumps and valve covers, black RTV would be the best in your case. You don't need to put a whole lot on, just enough to create a seal. Be sure to get the correct torque spec for the pan bolts. If you don't have a torque wrench, I would use the rule of thumb. Take your 1/4" drive socket set with a long extension and hand tighten all the bolts evenly, once all bolts are hand tightened evenly, take your 1/4" ratchet and give then just a little snug. It may not seem like enough, but trust me it is. You don't want to snap a bolt. Once the pan is tightened all the way, take your finger and run it around the outside of the mating surfaces to spread and clean the excess material. Then add fluid, get it heated and running, and check for leaks.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
i use the felpro gasket. ..no leaks.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Would kitchen grade steal wool do the trick?
I always use 3M Roloc Scotch-Brite pads with my angle die grinder. Makes quick work of removing 30+ yr old gaskets. Do it that way if you have access to air tools. Just make sure you keep that scotch-brite moving and not in one spot for too long
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
STree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
i use the felpro gasket. ..no leaks.
Good to know someone else has had success with this particular product. I didn't get a chance to perform the work this past weekend so it will have to wait until this weekend.

Also, I plan on using a plastic putty knife to remove remnants of the old gasket. Would a Gasket Remover product aid in this process or is it really not worth it? Such as:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Low-VOC-Gasket-Remover-Permatex_7740009-P_N2132_T|GRP2132_____

Last Question, through my research on this topic, I noticed some posts about coating the plastic gasket with a form of High Tack Gasket Sealant on both top and bottom. In your opinion, is this warranted or perhaps overkill? Here's an example of the Gasket Sealant:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_High-Tack&153;-Gasket-Sealant-Permatex_89016795-P_N2131_T|GRP2132_____

Thank you to everyone who has replied. This site is a blessing.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by STree View Post
Good to know someone else has had success with this particular product. I didn't get a chance to perform the work this past weekend so it will have to wait until this weekend.

Also, I plan on using a plastic putty knife to remove remnants of the old gasket. Would a Gasket Remover product aid in this process or is it really not worth it? Such as:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Low-VOC-Gasket-Remover-Permatex_7740009-P_N2132_T|GRP2132_____

Last Question, through my research on this topic, I noticed some posts about coating the plastic gasket with a form of High Tack Gasket Sealant on both top and bottom. In your opinion, is this warranted or perhaps overkill? Here's an example of the Gasket Sealant:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_High-Tack&153;-Gasket-Sealant-Permatex_89016795-P_N2131_T|GRP2132_____

Thank you to everyone who has replied. This site is a blessing.

i just used an old putty knife and a scotchbrite pad to get the RTV off. it was a pain in the ass. ..which is why i went with the felpro gasket instead of using RTV again.

i'm not familiar with that gasket remover. ..it may be worth looking into and trying though ..anything to make getting that crap off easier would definitely be useful.

as for the gasket sealant, i wouldn't use it.

check this link out for more general info...

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
STree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
i just used an old putty knife and a scotchbrite pad to get the RTV off. it was a pain in the ass. ..which is why i went with the felpro gasket instead of using RTV again.

i'm not familiar with that gasket remover. ..it may be worth looking into and trying though ..anything to make getting that crap off easier would definitely be useful.

as for the gasket sealant, i wouldn't use it.

check this link out for more general info...

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html
Thank you for the link. Did you follow the cooler line flush steps or just stop after dropping the pan and refilling?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STree View Post
Thank you for the link. Did you follow the cooler line flush steps or just stop after dropping the pan and refilling?

i personally let the dealer replace my tranny fluid. it's not something that i usually like to mess with. ...the only reason i dropped my pan was because it was leaking and the dealer wouldn't agree to use my felpro gasket instead of their FIPG to make the repair.

Products Discussed in this Thread