LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

prerunner with rear locker diff

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
06toyoboy is on a distinguished road
06toyoboy's Tacoma Gallery
prerunner with rear locker diff

I have an 03 Tacoma prerunner and was wondering if I could put a rear locker? I thought it could b possible so I went to a junkyard to see how much parts run and the shop manager said that I wouldn't b able to do it. Is this true?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Hm I don't think you can without replacing the entire axle. So you would need an axle out of a TRD truck, the locker actuator, and wiring harness I believe.

At that point, you may as well just go for an aftermarket like ARB or Detroit or something.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
yeah just go with an ARB air locker. the onboard air will come in handy for other things as well.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Powertrax no-slip $4-500 + install. Mine works f'n great, but an ARB is unbeatable if you want to spend $1500+.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Hm I don't think you can without replacing the entire axle. So you would need an axle out of a TRD truck, the locker actuator, and wiring harness I believe.

At that point, you may as well just go for an aftermarket like ARB or Detroit or something.
Well thats what i meant. You'll have to swap the whole axle for a TRD locker. The open diffs are different then the TRD ones.

Or yes you could just get an ARB. Much more expensive but stronger and OBA is cool and nice to have. should be around 800-1200 bucks.

TRD axle will run anywhere from 200-500 bucks.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The e-locker 3rd won't fit in a stock trd axle..without modifying the housing.

You'll need to modify the housing or buy the entire axle assembly..or at least the housing and the 3rd member. Don't quote me but I'm 95% sure the splines are the same on the carrier for the e-locker as the splines on your trd axle shafts.

ARB is $1000
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
The e-locker 3rd won't fit in a stock trd axle..without modifying the housing.

You'll need to modify the housing or buy the entire axle assembly..or at least the housing and the 3rd member. Don't quote me but I'm 95% sure the splines are the same on the carrier for the e-locker as the splines on your trd axle shafts.

ARB is $1000
yea but you can get used 8.4'' housings already tapped for 850 used. On TTORA all the time.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
yea but you can get used 8.4'' housings already tapped for 850 used. On TTORA all the time.
Rofl $850 used for a housing modified for a e-locker? just the housing? if so fucking rip off lol, if it's entire axle..that's a DECENT price if it's in good condition and has gears in it..if not, complete rip off.

I can have a buddy do it for $100 and you can find e-lockers for $200-400 with the actuators..

Marlin and Pirate FTMFW.
and Pull and Save
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
yea the guy said i would have to swap out the entire axle and do some other things but i guess i can go for an aftermarket one. I saw some companies you mentioned but not sure what to go with. What do you guys recommend for me, i dont do trail very much the truck is a DD so what would you recommend i go with as far as the aftermarket lackers are concernd
Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, you will need these items.

You will also need the harness.. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Yep, you will need these items.

You will also need the harness.. Good luck!
its possible but i might just go with an aftermarket one
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^Why go aftermarket?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
^Why go aftermarket?
it seems to me like there is more work i must do with finding the trd parts than by just going aftermarket, and it also seems cheaper to go aftermarket or am i wrong
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
Rofl $850 used for a housing modified for a e-locker? just the housing? if so fucking rip off lol, if it's entire axle..that's a DECENT price if it's in good condition and has gears in it..if not, complete rip off.

I can have a buddy do it for $100 and you can find e-lockers for $200-400 with the actuators..

Marlin and Pirate FTMFW.
and Pull and Save
lol no you can get an ARb 8.4'' for 850 dude..

And yes i kno. he needs the full axle for a TRD swap. Again, id never pay more then 500 for a full axle.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
lol no you can get an ARb 8.4'' for 850 dude..

And yes i kno. he needs the full axle for a TRD swap. Again, id never pay more then 500 for a full axle.
Oh, that's about right.

I can find 8.4 ARB 3rds for $700-850..just gotta look

I'd never pay more then $300 lol.

Products Discussed in this Thread