Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

center caps

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
mhukins is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mhukins's Tacoma Gallery
center caps

My center caps are all flaked and yellowish and I have lost all four of my outer rings. I was considering purchase of the chrome/plastic hub caps, but they don't seem to come with center caps. What are you all doing about the center cap issue? Is anyone out there using the chrome covers?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
What wheels do you have?

Fink
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I painted mine with a hammered silver.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
mhukins's Tacoma Gallery
I am sorry, I failed to mention, my wheels are factory steel silver. The steel is in good shape. I lost the plastic beauty rings a long time ago. The center caps are all peeling. I have been considering painting them white to match the body color, but I am standoffish. I like the chrome wheels covers that fit perfectly, but not sure what to do with the center caps.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
If they are the stock steel wheels, I would paint them like JTacoma did. Should match pretty well.

Fink
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I am actually about to repaint the trashed ones on the 4Runner 5-stars I just got. They look like JTacoma's picture. I found a link from another site (I think http://www.toyota-4runner.org/), and am going to do that.

But I don't have it handy right now. I will post up later.

Basically, light 400 grit, then regular (not etching) Duplicolor primer, then color of choice (there are about 7 Toyota silvers available from Duplicolor, and I had to got ouside in the sun with a bunch of cans for the best Match) in 3 or so light coats, followed by 3 coats of clear.

For the dark gray emblem in the middle, I found a Toyota charcoal gray touch-up paint that has a brush applicator.

I will start working on it this week and post pics, maybe do a write-up, cause I think lots of early 1st gens ust have this issue with thso caps.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
mhukins's Tacoma Gallery
What do ya'll think about these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2004-To...33053684070133
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhukins View Post

Fink
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4 of those sitting in my shed at home... I actually liked them at first (they came on my truck) but then I found TW and caught the chrome hate bug. PM me if you're a 5 lugger and interested. I also have my stock wheels with center caps at home.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
x65983759328452

Horrid. Paint the damn things.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Keep in mind that if you are looking for a way to make your center caps look less shitty, buying replacement hub caps is not the answer.

Fink
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
mhukins's Tacoma Gallery
Fink,

I agree. I was thinking of going a differnet direction altogther.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fink,

I agree. I was thinking of going a differnet direction altogther.

Thanks!
Understood.

Have any pics of your truck as it is?

Fink
Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
mhukins's Tacoma Gallery
Not handy. I guess that I need to put one on my sig. I will shoot one with my phone.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
I would say rattle can them silver or a color of your choice