Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2001 tacoma timing issues

Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
plumislandstriper is on a distinguished road
Name: jesse
plumislandstriper's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation 2001 tacoma timing issues

So got myself into a pickle. changing timing belt on truck and everything line up perfectly and new belt looked great but after turning engine over several time by hand i realized that though my cam marks and crank marks lined up great at tdc the belt marks moved one tooth evry time i brought crank back around to tdc. am i correct in assuming there is an issue and if so whats the fix.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
fidencio74 is on a distinguished road

Name: Fidencio
fidencio74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumislandstriper View Post
So got myself into a pickle. changing timing belt on truck and everything line up perfectly and new belt looked great but after turning engine over several time by hand i realized that though my cam marks and crank marks lined up great at tdc the belt marks moved one tooth evry time i brought crank back around to tdc. am i correct in assuming there is an issue and if so whats the fix.
as long as the cams and crank shaft lines up with the marks you are fine, the marks on the belt are just for start point. I just did mine and ran into the same problem but the truck is running perfect.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Exclamation ran fine at first but.......

it started an ran fine for 20 minutes, i burped the system and topped off all fluids and went on test drive and it seems now to be knocking a little like a diesel truck. oh and it started to over heat
Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
it started an ran fine for 20 minutes, i burped the system and topped off all fluids and went on test drive and it seems now to be knocking a little like a diesel truck. oh and it started to over heat
it was already there. I had the same issue about the knocking sound but it has been fine. I even took the truck to a mechanic and he told me that the sound is normal for the trucks and I wasn't going to be able to get rid of it. You won't notice it in a couple of days. I don't know about the over heat issue, That sounds like a problem but I don't think that is timing belt related. Did you replace the thermostat and water pump?

any water leaks?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Exclamation

yeah i replaced water pump, tensioner, both idler pulleys and thermostat. the truck never knocked before i did the belt so im assuming that it has to be something i did, check engine light came on too so i figured maybe knock sensor unplugged but it didnt. Im now confused as to what to do next.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
yeah i replaced water pump, tensioner, both idler pulleys and thermostat. the truck never knocked before i did the belt so im assuming that it has to be something i did, check engine light came on too so i figured maybe knock sensor unplugged but it didnt. Im now confused as to what to do next.
Did the cams move when you were installing the belt?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
no i was very careful about the camshaft marks and quadruple checked my work
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
no i was very careful about the camshaft marks and quadruple checked my work
Are you sure that you don't have any water leaks? Did you install the thermostat gasket around it? Did you buy everything from the dealer?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
the overheating issue is most likely an easy fix, my main concern is the dieseling sound and the check engine light. I work in a garage so guess ill attempt driving it to work and putting it on the scanner