Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'95 Tacoma won't start

Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
JaxFlJon is on a distinguished road
JaxFlJon's Tacoma Gallery
'95 Tacoma won't start

Ok so let me try and describe whats going on.

I have a 1995 Tacoma 2.4L 5 speed. One day I drove through some deepish water in a parking lot and my truck stalled out. Parked it and 3 hours or so later I went out and started it up, ran a little rough and the check engine light came on. Drove it around for about 3 months no problems really except that I would get some hesitation with acceleration. Parked it for 5 days. Came out to start the truck to go to work and it acted like it wanted to start for maybe two turns then the engine would just turn over. It wasn't the usual sound that you would get when starting the engine.

Changed the cap/rotor/plugs/battery/computer behind the glove box.

pulled the starter and had that tested good.

No dice.

Had spark, and the plugs smell like gas something fierce

Any ideas?

Can you take a computer to a dealership to have the codes pulled?

Thanks for any help
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
autozone will pull the codes for free. I would start there.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
autozone will pull the codes for free. I would start there.
If I bring just the computer (not in the truck) they would be able to pull codes?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFlJon View Post
If I bring just the computer (not in the truck) they would be able to pull codes?
well they need an OBDII port to plug into. Not sure if that is possible with just the computer.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Quote:
well they need an OBDII port to plug into. Not sure if that is possible with just the computer.
Do they have an option to take it home to use? Don't really want to tow my truck there
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
braaap

wait Im not sure if your '95 has OBD II. Can someone else confirm this?

You might have to get the dealer involved if it is OBD I.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
you can buy a code reader, it's always useful to have. they have some fairly cheap ones that just read codes. your '95 is obd-1. just make sure you buy one with the correct adapter.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
you can buy a code reader, it's always useful to have. they have some fairly cheap ones that just read codes. your '95 is obd-1. just make sure you buy one with the correct adapter.
ok there you go.

I would call autozone and see if you can rent one though if you don't want to buy.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok there you go.

I would call autozone and see if you can rent one though if you don't want to buy.
they have readers that can scan both obd-1 and obd-2 or just one or the other. obd-1 readers have to use specific adapters. gm, ford, ..., all have their own type of plug adapter.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to just jumper TE1 and E1 on the test connector in the engine compartment and with ignition sw on, not trying to start just on and read the number of flashes of the check engine light. The light will blink the first number then pause then blink the second number then it will start over again. Only code 1 will blink continously. Code 1 means no malfunctions. Code 25, 26 and 27 are oxygen sensor related problems. The test connector was near the battery on my 93.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
You should be able to just jumper TE1 and E1 on the test connector in the engine compartment and with ignition sw on, not trying to start just on and read the number of flashes of the check engine light. The light will blink the first number then pause then blink the second number then it will start over again. Only code 1 will blink continously. Code 1 means no malfunctions. Code 25, 26 and 27 are oxygen sensor related problems. The test connector was near the battery on my 93.
Thanks for the tip
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Couldn't figure it out on my own so I took the truck to the stealership.

They said it had low compression which was caused by a blown head gasket which I can't figure out because it wasn't overheating, smoking, or had any fluids mixing???
Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Anyone know what the compression numbers are supposed to be for a 2.4L engine?