Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Name: Alex
03TRDtacotrucker's Tacoma Gallery
guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift

Doing this on a MAC without a paint program so sorry if its hard to fallow, did my best to be as descriptive as I could instead. Couldnt fine a thread anywhere for an install guide for these with this truck and a fabtech lift so figured I would make one.

before install

Jack the truck up and remove both front tires

remove pin from UCA ball joint bolt and then remove the bolt (use some PB blaster if necessary to help loosen the bolt) then using a hammer hit the bottom of the UCA next to the ball joint up to free the BJ from the UCA.

Next remove the BJ boot clamp and then the snap ring (you can remove the snap ring with a pair of pliers and a flat head screw driver, but helps to use a snap ring removing tool even with mine being too small) Next since you are replacing the BJ anyways just spray the base of the BJ with some PB blaster and knock it down through the spindle using a small sledge or hammer.

Now using a C-clamp style press that I rented from O'reillys press the new lower part of the uniball into the spindle and then install the new snap ring (make sure to use a generous amount of anti-seize on this part or else you will have trouble getting it into place since the size of the fabtech spindle makes the press difficult to use here) you will most likely have to back off and press it a couple times before it will seat in place enough for the snap ring to clear (took me about 3 times each side)

on the drivers side under the battery tray you will have to remove a wiring harness clamp and the air bag sensor using a 10mm socket and then slide the coolant tank out in order for the UCA bolt to be taken out. using a 19mm socket remove the bottom UCA bolt and slide the bolt all the way out. (on the passenger side you will have to bend part of your fender well out using some channel locks and then remove another air bag sensor (10mm) and also move an A/C line over out of the way for the bolt to clear.

next install the bushing into the new UCA and make sure to grease before installing. I found it easier to go ahead and install the UCA to the spindle not tightening the bolt down yet to help keep it in place while inserting the long bolt back through the new UCA (another hand will help with this part too) but this also makes it easier if your installing these by yourself.

next tighten the long bolt back down and go ahead and tighten the uniball bolt down as well make sure to get these both good and tight since it is what's keeping your tire in place (85ft/lb). Make sure to re-install your air bag sensors and harness. Spray some lubricant on the uniball when finished to keep it from squeaking, I used silicone lube.

Next re-install your tires and head to the nearest alignment shop, which is a must do after this. After that enjoy your new awesome UCA, which not only look great, but work great too ....Wish I had more pictures or a paint program could have made this easier to fallow, but did my best with what I had. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and ill do my best to answer them, And no I did not gain any lift installing these, but did get better wheel travel and a smoother ride. All in all this job took me about 4 hours to do and ive never installed a UCA before this. Drivers side by the way is a little more difficult to do than the passenger side. would start with the passenger side first so you get a better feel for it before tackling the drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails
guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111026-00069.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111026-00072.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111026-00073.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111026-00074.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111026-00070.jpg  

guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111028-00082.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111028-00078.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111028-00080.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111028-00081.jpg   guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift-img-20111029-00084.jpg  

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Better ride after the UCA? or did you install them just for better suspension articulation?

Your setup looks great! Im not a big fan of DB lifts...but yours is setup nice!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Yeah the ride is way better and the wheel travel is much better too. rides like it was stock again except for these worthless mud terrains that vibrate like hell and sound like a freight train going down the road, which is next in line to be changed. installed these because i needed new upper ball joints and figured what hell might as well since its pretty much the same labor time, so the change from worn out BJ to driving with these is like night and day would highly recommend. Alignment shop had a hell of a time getting their part done, but that could of just been the case with mine.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TRDtacotrucker View Post
Yeah the ride is way better and the wheel travel is much better too. rides like it was stock again except for these worthless mud terrains that vibrate like hell and sound like a freight train going down the road, which is next in line to be changed. installed these because i needed new upper ball joints and figured what hell might as well since its pretty much the same labor time, so the change from worn out BJ to driving with these is like night and day would highly recommend. Alignment shop had a hell of a time getting their part done, but that could of just been the case with mine.
what kind of tires are you going for?

Camburg, all pro, and light racing are at the top of my list if I decide to go with some UCA's.

They looks sooo sick...esp the uniball arms.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
No Road. No Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
what kind of tires are you going for?

Camburg, all pro, and light racing are at the top of my list if I decide to go with some UCA's.

They looks sooo sick...esp the uniball arms.
im going with the goodyear duratrac tires, everyone has the BFG all terrains so feel like being different. Not to mention they are cool looking tires with a mean tread for an all terrain.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, I am definitely in a world of POOP with this!!! I have a '99 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD and I can't get the "snap ring to clear." I first used a c-clamp style press, then I took it to a local shop where they used a 30 ton press and there wasn't enough clearance. The guy said I would have to grind down the top of the spindle.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
043RZ is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TRDtacotrucker View Post
Doing this on a MAC without a paint program so sorry if its hard to fallow, did my best to be as descriptive as I could instead. Couldnt fine a thread anywhere for an install guide for these with this truck and a fabtech lift so figured I would make one.

before install

Jack the truck up and remove both front tires

remove pin from UCA ball joint bolt and then remove the bolt (use some PB blaster if necessary to help loosen the bolt) then using a hammer hit the bottom of the UCA next to the ball joint up to free the BJ from the UCA.

Next remove the BJ boot clamp and then the snap ring (you can remove the snap ring with a pair of pliers and a flat head screw driver, but helps to use a snap ring removing tool even with mine being too small) Next since you are replacing the BJ anyways just spray the base of the BJ with some PB blaster and knock it down through the spindle using a small sledge or hammer.

Now using a C-clamp style press that I rented from O'reillys press the new lower part of the uniball into the spindle and then install the new snap ring (make sure to use a generous amount of anti-seize on this part or else you will have trouble getting it into place since the size of the fabtech spindle makes the press difficult to use here) you will most likely have to back off and press it a couple times before it will seat in place enough for the snap ring to clear (took me about 3 times each side)

on the drivers side under the battery tray you will have to remove a wiring harness clamp and the air bag sensor using a 10mm socket and then slide the coolant tank out in order for the UCA bolt to be taken out. using a 19mm socket remove the bottom UCA bolt and slide the bolt all the way out. (on the passenger side you will have to bend part of your fender well out using some channel locks and then remove another air bag sensor (10mm) and also move an A/C line over out of the way for the bolt to clear.

next install the bushing into the new UCA and make sure to grease before installing. I found it easier to go ahead and install the UCA to the spindle not tightening the bolt down yet to help keep it in place while inserting the long bolt back through the new UCA (another hand will help with this part too) but this also makes it easier if your installing these by yourself.

next tighten the long bolt back down and go ahead and tighten the uniball bolt down as well make sure to get these both good and tight since it is what's keeping your tire in place (85ft/lb). Make sure to re-install your air bag sensors and harness. Spray some lubricant on the uniball when finished to keep it from squeaking, I used silicone lube.

Next re-install your tires and head to the nearest alignment shop, which is a must do after this. After that enjoy your new awesome UCA, which not only look great, but work great too ....Wish I had more pictures or a paint program could have made this easier to fallow, but did my best with what I had. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and ill do my best to answer them, And no I did not gain any lift installing these, but did get better wheel travel and a smoother ride. All in all this job took me about 4 hours to do and ive never installed a UCA before this. Drivers side by the way is a little more difficult to do than the passenger side. would start with the passenger side first so you get a better feel for it before tackling the drivers side.
Very nice write up man!! Thumbs up! I to have a fatech 6 inch lift and have actually been looking for awhile on how to get rid of the fabtech struts up front. They ride like shit and i want my factory ride back. Soooo i have a question for ya. What brand of strut is that you have installed on your truck? And also did the manufacture of the strut supply you with that spacer to make?