Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP: Misfire after plug change

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)
Taco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medical Corps
Name: Jake
Taco.VR4's Tacoma Gallery
HELP: Misfire after plug change

I replaced the spark plugs recently. Had autolites in it, so I replaced with the proper Denso duel-electrode style plugs. I gaped them at 0.40. I also disconnected the negative side of the battery. Started getting misfire while idling @800rpms.

I took the plugs back out and re-gaped them to ensure they were within spec but no luck.

On a good note, no negative signs on the plugs (lean/rich/fouling)... but thats only after ~500 miles.

Ideas???
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Did you forget to plug the harness back in to one of the coils by chance?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)
Taco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medical Corps
Name: Jake
Taco.VR4's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it but I will doubt-check. So far any other RPM is not affected, only at idle.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Common Sense Ninja
thatSchusterguy is on a distinguished road
thatSchusterguy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a similar issue, except mine is only when it's a cold start...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I would check the plug wires on the drivers side. There might be one that isn't seated well on the plug or the plug wire itself has issues. I had something similar early this year. I changed the plugs and noticed a misfire, pulled the plug wires and tested the resistance and found one that was 4x the specified resistance, if I bent the wire trying to get the Fluke probe into it I noticed that I had an open. There was enough voltage to bridge the gap in the open wire and in doing so there wasn't enough voltage to create a spark on the plug.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a bad wire, & the plugs are pre-gapped , usually if electrical the miss will be the same thru out RPM range & won't matter if its been running or just starting up cold, if its electrical a misfire will be there right from the startup...