Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Starting problem?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Starting problem?

So i first noticed my starting was off a month ago, thought nothing of it. About a couple days later, i try to start the truck and it has a edgy starting noise and then starts to grind, i shut it off wait 5 minutes and it fires up, with the edgy sound.

So then i noticed a couple of weeks later, it happened again.

But today, it happened three times, and the last time i thought it started so i go to put the truck in reverse, it starts moving barely so i step on the accelerator a little bit. When i do that, the truck keeps moving backward slowly, as if the accelerator has no control.

Its sounds like its dead when i start it some times.

Battery is good.

2001 DC
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah.......sounds like starter has crapper out on ya.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Yeah.......sounds like starter has crapper out on ya.
Sounds expensive to replace, is that something stealership has to do or a mechanic?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Sounds expensive to replace, is that something stealership has to do or a mechanic?
starters are not that hard to replace. disconnect the battery. Starter is on the passenger side. from under the truck you will disconnect remote wire (small wire) and a large wire i think its 12 or 14 mm bolt. After that is out of the way. there are two bolts 14 or 15mm (off the top of my head) holds the starter in remove those. Starter comes right out. Put it back in is just reverse of removing it.

Haynes manual are good to have they go step by step on stuff like this.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...fe-engine.html
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #8

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Got it fixed about 350 bucks today, starts better and sounds more sports/electronic
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
WAs it the starter?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
WAs it the starter?
The mechanic said he didn't think so, because it was a intermittant problem, they couldnt get it to sound messed up on a start up at the shop. I said just replace it anyways, and it starts much more clean now. Didnt feel like getting stuck.