Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tacoma dies in about 3 ft of water

Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
the taco man is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
the taco man's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma dies in about 3 ft of water

My taco dies in about three feet of water pull it out and it will start right up no water in air box and nothing getting wet that should make it die any ideas
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm guessing electrical. The alternator sits pretty low.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
derp thread?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bet its the water....
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
I bet its the water....
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Alternator probably got wet.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
I bet its the water....
i have to disagree i would say its excessive moisture
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
i have to disagree i would say its excessive moisture
SHIT! why didnt I think of that?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
The alt shouldn't make it die unless the battery is completely dead so I don't think its the alt I've got a buddy who has the same problem and we can not figure it out
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the taco man View Post
The alt shouldn't make it die unless the battery is completely dead so I don't think its the alt I've got a buddy who has the same problem and we can not figure it out
if you drown the alt it can kill the truck
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Banned
You could be shorting the circuit out. I mean it is 3 feet of water after all. That isn't a puddle.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Water + Alt = No bueno
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You could be shorting the circuit out. I mean it is 3 feet of water after all. That isn't a puddle.
this^ it also kills the life of the alt with it getting so dirty.....why didnt you get a boat?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
Ok maybe its not quit 3 ft maybe like 2 feet or so if it was the alt it would die when spray it with a water hose
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
This happened to me with a jeep I used to have. The plug wires were old and arcing once they got wet. The jeep stopped running when all the spark was arcing over the engine. After a few minutes to dry, it started up inside the massive mud hole I was in and pulled right out. Swapped the wires and tackled the mup puddle again and it didn't even hesitate as it pulled all the way through...could be the same problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #16

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by the taco man View Post
Ok maybe its not quit 3 ft maybe like 2 feet or so if it was the alt it would die when spray it with a water hose
submerged and sprayed are way different

Quote:
Originally Posted by elytravis View Post
This happened to me with a jeep I used to have. The plug wires were old and arcing once they got wet. The jeep stopped running when all the spark was arcing over the engine. After a few minutes to dry, it started up inside the massive mud hole I was in and pulled right out. Swapped the wires and tackled the mup puddle again and it didn't even hesitate as it pulled all the way through...could be the same problem.
this happened to both my tacoma and my jeep. would be a very good place to start looking
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
It has fresh tune up plugs wires
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #18

when a engine dies of wont start there are 3 possible reasons why. Air, Fuel, and Spark.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
It will start and run great once you get it out of the water I don't have to give it time to dry or anything I am a mechanic at a local dealership and I have talk to a bunch of different people about this and we can not figure it out so I thought I would give this a shot
Old 11-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm guessing electrical. The alternator sits pretty low.
Not in a first gen.