Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird sound from behind dash

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Weird sound from behind dash

Now that the weather is changing and its becoming winter and its getting colder, ive noticed a weird sound coming from behind my dash. I can tell it is coming from my speedo needle(or behind it or something). When I get to over about 30 MPH it starts. Its sort of like a really loud vibrating sound.And its only in the morning(when its coldest). When I get to 55 MPH or more its really loud and if it is a colder morning, the speedo needle will jump up to 65/ 70 MPH. It doesnt have anything to do with the RPMs because when I shift its still just as loud. So it has to do with the speed. Anyone have any ideas of what it is??
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
I think there was an in dash tsb about it. mine is a rattleing noise. bought it in several times each time they said they fixed it but it still buzzes.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I think there was an in dash tsb about it. mine is a rattleing noise. bought it in several times each time they said they fixed it but it still buzzes.
any idea what it is or how to fix it?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Had a nissan with floppy needle....took it apart, heated it, bent and set it.
Wonder if that's ur issue too....annoying at the least
extremly annoying. what did heating it and bending it do? i dont see how that would fix it
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
any idea what it is or how to fix it?
I think it is from wires rubbing together. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it. I am still living with mine. You might be able to get ahold of toyotec 31 on the Florida bs thread. He is a great Toyota tech and very honest. He is actually a team master tec. Anyway, might be hard for him to diagnose problem without seeing it but he might give you some things to try.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I think it is from wires rubbing together. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it. I am still living with mine. You might be able to get ahold of toyotec 31 on the Florida bs thread. He is a great Toyota tech and very honest. He is actually a team master tec. Anyway, might be hard for him to diagnose problem without seeing it but he might give you some things to try.
Maybe I should upload a video. How do i do it?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
brought it away from the cluster and kept it from dragging against the face....it was an old (well 1988 with 300+K miles), and a southern california truck (inland empire) so it seen some hot days. The needle got hot I guess and softened and drooped..

stupid I know, but true
ahh ok so thats something different than what is going on in my dash
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
I'd take a rattle over the "turkey gobble" that appeared after my last off road trip...
hmmm.. let me guess, you hit a turkey?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I had this on my 1995 4Runner - ended up being a bad speedometer cable.

Fink
Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
I had this on my 1995 4Runner - ended up being a bad speedometer cable.

Fink
Thats what my dad said it probably was. how did you fix it?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats what my dad said it probably was. how did you fix it?
Had my buddy at my old Toyota dealership replace it for me.

The cable itself is not very expensive - hit up www.ToyotaPartSales.com

Fink
Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Firefighter:
Quote:
Had my buddy at my old Toyota dealership replace it for me.

The cable itself is not very expensive - hit up www.ToyotaPartSales.com

Fink
alright. thanks man. im guessing i would have to take the whole dash apart?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
alright. thanks man. im guessing i would have to take the whole dash apart?
I believe you just have to take out the gauge cluster, but I could be mistaken.

Fink
Old 11-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Firefighter:
Quote:
I believe you just have to take out the gauge cluster, but I could be mistaken.

Fink
Alright. thanks for the help
Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright. thanks for the help

Fink