Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen Block Heater

Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
jrich44 is on a distinguished road
jrich44's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Block Heater

Does anyone know of a block heater for the 1st gens? I have seen them from Toyota for the second gens only.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't found one either. Honestly though, switching to synthetic and installing a battery warmer is all you really need IMO. Where do you live?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
This may be of interest. http://www.wolverineheater.com/
Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came from the dealer with one. You all mad?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Claymore21 has a spectacular aura aboutClaymore21 has a spectacular aura aboutClaymore21 has a spectacular aura about
Claymore21's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich44 View Post
Does anyone know of a block heater for the 1st gens? I have seen them from Toyota for the second gens only.
Yes. I got mine at NAPA - cost about $35.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
jrich44 is on a distinguished road
jrich44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Yes. I got mine at NAPA - cost about $35.
Was that just an oil pan heater, if so how does that seem to help warm up the truck.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich44 View Post
Was that just an oil pan heater, if so how does that seem to help warm up the truck.
No - its a block heater. I had an oil pan heater on my Subaru and it did alright but block heaters are better. I could leave my car plugged in all night and there was a 50/50 shot of it starting in -0* weather but my truck only needs a couple of hours and its good to go.

I'm not sure about the 2.7 engine but on the 3.4's there are two types of elements out there - L shaped and J shaped. My truck ended up needing the J shaped one (and I had bought the L and the parts store said it would fit) So if there is more than one option out there buy both and return the one you don't need!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
What about a lower radiator hose heater? Easy install.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
I assume our only block heater options are freeze plug style? I had good luck with one in my '92 Pickup's 3.0L V6, but seeing what happened to Monte has me second guessing freeze plug options... (I find myself envious of the 2nd Gen V6 heater design.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
No - its a block heater... on the 3.4's there are two types of elements out there - L shaped and J shaped. My truck ended up needing the J shaped one (and I had bought the L and the parts store said it would fit) So if there is more than one option out there buy both and return the one you don't need!
Do you recall part number(s), Lisa? (NAPA's site shows two options for '04 Tacomas, one L/J-shape and one straight, but both appear to be designed for 4-cyl engines.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
What about a lower radiator hose heater? Easy install.
I haven't seen these in any of my searches. Do you have a manufacturer or part number, Tom?

Any other cold weather mitigation options worth considering (e.g., battery blankets, oil pan warmers, etc.)???
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #17
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I assume our only block heater options are freeze plug style? I had good luck with one in my '92 Pickup's 3.0L V6, but seeing what happened to Monte has me second guessing freeze plug options... (I find myself envious of the 2nd Gen V6 heater design.)

Do you recall part number(s), Lisa? (NAPA's site shows two options for '04 Tacomas, one L/J-shape and one straight, but both appear to be designed for 4-cyl engines.)

I haven't seen these in any of my searches. Do you have a manufacturer or part number, Tom?

Any other cold weather mitigation options worth considering (e.g., battery blankets, oil pan warmers, etc.)???

Kats makes them don't know if they have the size you need.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival since it's -23*F here right now... How about any of these?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=radiat...d=576592343057