Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What oil and filter to use on 1998 2.4L

Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
What oil and filter to use on 1998 2.4L

Hey all, this will be my first oil change with my new used 1998 2.4L..
I have been reading about Royal Purple; is that an option and would it make much of a difference? Also, what filter should I get?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 synth and it's always done me well.

Extra zinc/phosphorous anti-wear additives, and the same synth base as regular Mobil-1. The wife's Honda ran this starting at 50K miles, when it went in for timing belt service the tech was amazed at how spotless the upper valvetrain was.

Handy 5qt jug at WallyWorld is around $25 here.

edit: Toyota filter. Accept no substitute.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

hats009's Tacoma Gallery
What about K&N filters I have been reading about?
What makes the Toyota filter better to go with or the K&N less so?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
I use Rotella T6 its a synthetic 5-40 oil designated for diesels, that is all I use in my vehicles (yes they are non diesel) and I change it at 5K miles, filters, I just use WIX filters and change them every oil change.

The reason I use diesel oil is that it is designed to hold up to the pressures and heat associated with Ultra High compression turbocharged vehicles, so it does VERY WELL in everything else, I have pulled motors apart after using this oil only and it showed absloutely no wear! Even the rod bearings looked reusable..

I used to help pit with a race crew that was running a TT BBC motor making 25psi and we used nothing but the T6 oil and since we tore the motor down a lot we measured wear and foud that oil to reduce the wear considerably even compared to other Sythetic oils like Mobil 1.

Everyone has opinions, but I wiill only use this oil in my vehicles.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hats009 View Post
Hey all, this will be my first oil change with my new used 1998 2.4L..
I have been reading about Royal Purple; is that an option and would it make much of a difference? Also, what filter should I get?
Royal Purple is one of many good options, as are Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Use an OEM Toyota oil filter. (See below.)

Quote:
What makes the Toyota filter better to go with or the K&N less so?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Derp, Derp Derp

hats009's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the advice and references; I ended up running to the dealer to pick up the OEM oil filter and it was only $5.86 with tax!
Now, I am still a bit confused with reading some posts in the forum elsewhere about 4bangers only using 5-20 oil or 0-20.. And the science of it is even more confusing.
If it helps, my taco has 182,000 on it and pushing.
It seems no one has one set answer.

And that oil filter comparison was awesome.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
One of the best references you can consult is your Owner's Manual. It includes Toyota's recommendations for your truck's maintenance, including oil specifications.

If you don't have a hard copy, check out the Toyota Owners' Web Site, where they're available for download. According to pg 229 (attached), the recommended oil viscosity for your truck is 5W30.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 98 Tacoma Oil Specs.pdf (54.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the advice and references; I ended up running to the dealer to pick up the OEM oil filter and it was only $5.86 with tax!
Now, I am still a bit confused with reading some posts in the forum elsewhere about 4bangers only using 5-20 oil or 0-20.. And the science of it is even more confusing.
If it helps, my taco has 182,000 on it and pushing.
It seems no one has one set answer.

And that oil filter comparison was awesome.
That is only for 2nd gens I believe.