Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifter Chatter

Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
ToyotaHondaOwner is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
ToyotaHondaOwner's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Lifter Chatter

Okay so again new member I have a 2001 Taco with 115k miles and I am having lifter chatter in the morning. I have added Rislone oil treatment with little progress. Any suggestions or is this normal what should I do? Now my Taco runs great other than this. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of oil (brand and weight) and oil filter are you using?

Does it go away once it warms up? Only at idle or does it increase/persist with RPM's?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
ToyotaHondaOwner is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
ToyotaHondaOwner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
what kind of oil (brand and weight) and oil filter are you using?

Does it go away once it warms up? Only at idle or does it increase/persist with RPM's?
5w20 pensoil .... It's only in the morning and it goes away after a couple of minutes.... Help
Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaHondaOwner View Post
5w20 pensoil .... It's only in the morning and it goes away after a couple of minutes.... Help
Help. Specification is 5W-30. Help. Why did you go with 5W-20? Help help.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaHondaOwner View Post
If it's just there in the morning and goes away after a few minutes, it's just an older engine waiting for the oil to warm up.

An oil change may help. 5w30 may help. Both may help or make it go away.

FWIW I don't think any harm is being done. My Matrix does the same in winter only when it's getting close to an oil change.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
type of filter? Some filters starve the motor of oil on cold-start-up and the motor will make a little bit of chatter. When I used Fram/Purolator filters the motor made a lot more noise on cold startup for this reason. Use Toyota filters...best available for our trucks.

And use 5w30 like toyota recommends.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
My old 2.7 would clatter a little bit when it was really cold but it was one of the best engines I ever had in a Toyota still clattered when I sold it with 248K on it.