Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

my experience changing rear wheel bearing

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
my experience changing rear wheel bearing

turned into my neighborhood saturday morning and the wheel bearing crumbled. sounded like marbles crunching together, not a good sound.

anyways i ordered the seal (wrong one btw) from toyota, and bearing from autozone (a timken) and got to work sunday morning (in the rain).

Heres what it sounded like with the rear end jacked up and unlocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv16kKY2AM

Anyways i followed this guide. http://rlcanon.sw.utexas.edu/taco/rwb.html it all worked great, i did also soak it in pb blaster. ive never used the stuff but the entire process wasnt to hard so it went well. I did use the "slam on concrete method."

heres what mine looked like, note i have abs as the tutorial did not. the cuffs on either side of the abs speed sensor have to be cut off according to toyotas fsm, so thats what i did as the new bearing provides some.

The seal from the guide, is if you DO NOT have abs, as i do, mines sunken and harder to destroy. the cuff furthest from the hub sits against the seal and keeps everything mostly dry.

as the axle is semi floating, minimal fluid leaked out, and i mean like two or three drops.

to get the cuffs, and bearing on, i used a length of pipe that fit perfect to hammer em in. the pipe end i was hammering on actually had a piece of quarter inch welded to it as it was previously used as a frame for a car part. we needed a hand sledge to put the new cuffs on.

I did pinch the break lines with a vice grip (the rubber lines), and afterwards just had to reverse bleed the breaks and all was well.

all in all knowing what i know now, this could be a two hour job.

hand sledge, assortment of flat head screw drivers, set of metric sockets, metric wrenches, snap wring plyers, breaker bar to put hub back on tight, and for the breaks an eye dropper, lenght of iv hose, and break fluid. also a pipe, dremel, and an air wrench for wheel.

I would like to give a shout out to chris 4x4, the_glory_fades, and bfabrian for their over the phone, and on hands help.
Attached Thumbnails
my experience changing rear wheel bearing-img_20111113_085427.jpg   my experience changing rear wheel bearing-img_20111113_084329.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

other bearing went out tonight on wheeling trip. will do it wednesday when bearing gets in. grrr. will take more pics if any interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVsmGlQHOao
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
LifeIsGood169 will become famous soon enough

Name: Greg
LifeIsGood169's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to LifeIsGood169 Send a message via Skype™ to LifeIsGood169
Are the bearings dry? Do you ever grease them? I don't get why they are going out? What's going on? Lots of water crossings then high speed travel?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood169 View Post
Are the bearings dry? Do you ever grease them? I don't get why they are going out? What's going on? Lots of water crossings then high speed travel?
They are sealed unservicable units. Time, mileage, and driving kills them. I bought the truck at 172 miles and its at 185 now, ive been wheeling twice now, and the second time wheeling was last night.