Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who adds weight to their truck for winter driving?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Who adds weight to their truck for winter driving?

Who on here adds weight (sand bags, ect) in the back of their truck for winter driving? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good amount to add?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
YotaMark is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
YotaMark's Tacoma Gallery
Im adding a few sand tubes. OBTW. Did you see the rolled over first gen Tacoma on the news this morning? It was in Denver.... showed it being rolled back on its wheels.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
in my 1st gen I would add a few bags of sand over the rear axel. In my 2nd gen the doublecab seems to weigh enough that I usually don't add an additional weight.

search around, there are quite a few threads on this already

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...help-snow.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ight-back.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...our-truck.html
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
im buying bags of kitty litter, good to use as traction if I get stuck.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
acad54 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Chris
acad54's Tacoma Gallery
I have five 60 lb bags in mine
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
When it snows or we have an ice storm 5 50lb sand bags are over my rear axle in the bed, but i'm 2wd. Amazing difference.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I usually throw a couple hundred pounds in the bed. This year probably not this year though because of the shell.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
palmxp3 is on a distinguished road
palmxp3's Tacoma Gallery
This will bey first winter with the Taco, is adding weight in the back still recommended if you're 4x4?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
I fill the bed of the truck with snow. Worked very well over the years!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmxp3 View Post
This will bey first winter with the Taco, is adding weight in the back still recommended if you're 4x4?

wouldn't hurt to add the weight.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvd2312 View Post
Who on here adds weight (sand bags, ect) in the back of their truck for winter driving? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good amount to add?
I add a 40 lbs bag of cat litter only when I trek up into the mountains in wintry conditions.

I place the bag in the center of the bed, directly in front of the rear axle.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmxp3 View Post

Will you be driving locked in 4 wheel all winter ????

Tacomas LOVE to come around 180/270 on fresh POWDA ....especially if you are "dog" tired after plowing all dam night....
boss tells you to go get 40 winks and you FORGET to "lock it in"....

That 7 second bull ride you always here about.... ... try spinning your Tacoma 1/2 asleep.....that same RUSH....

PUT SOME DAM WEIGHT OVER THE REAR and go have FUN !!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrd647 View Post
I fill the bed of the truck with snow. Worked very well over the years!
Same here 95% of the time it works every time
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
I throw on my topper back on. Also acts as a dry storage area, as well as adding weight over the wheels.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrd647 View Post
I fill the bed of the truck with snow.

Plus it keeps your beer cold for after plowing, snow-blowing and shoveling
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #20
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand why you all add so much weight

200...300 pounds?

I've used 40 lbs (plus about another 40 in gear) for over a decade and it works absolutely just fine