1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hard acceleration = no idle???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by whatatoy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    whatatoy

whatatoy [OP] Galt/Rearden 2012

Member:
    SO CAL
    Vehicle:
    I like it
    This truck is a work truck - not a lot of fancy mod's here, but it's getting the job done!
    I was driving my 98 3.4l pre-runner to work this morning. Tried to get around a guy going slow, so I accelerated hard from say, 35 mph to 60 mph... when I let off the throttle and started coasting back down to the speed limit of 50, I noticed my truck turned off... I stopped at the stop light ahead, turned it on and it wouldn't start, so I gave it some gas and it fired right up, running fine...

BUT, when I let off the throttle again to let it idle at the red light, it just wouldn't... No loss of oil, not hot, radiators fine, as long as I kept it above idle (not sure how much, no tach) it ran just great...

I got to work (was only 5 miles away and like I said, it ran fine as long as it was above idle) after learning how to start my truck on the fly (NEUTRAL GEAR) and I opened the hood, took a look at the oils, the intake, and everything seemed fine.

I fixed it somehow by running it at above idle in park for several minutes... Now, no more problems... till the next time...

ANYONE seen/heard of this before?

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    check your idle control valve . Under your throttle body sounds like it full of carbon or its bad.

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    whatatoy

whatatoy [OP] Galt/Rearden 2012

Member:
    SO CAL
    Vehicle:
    I like it
    This truck is a work truck - not a lot of fancy mod's here, but it's getting the job done!
    I see what your talking about... looks like I need to take the throttle body off just to get to the friggin thing...

Products Discussed in

To Top