Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen vs 2nd Gen ---

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
edavidso is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
edavidso's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen vs 2nd Gen ---

So I have a 1997 Tacoma, high mileage, and am considering going to a 2009+. Thoughts? Should I put the money into mine to keep it running well, or put the money towards a newer one. Anyone have any opinions on the 2nd Gen vs the 1st Gen?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edavidso View Post
So I have a 1997 Tacoma, high mileage, and am considering going to a 2009+. Thoughts? Should I put the money into mine to keep it running well, or put the money towards a newer one. Anyone have any opinions on the 2nd Gen vs the 1st Gen?

Thanks
incoming!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Take an 09 for a test drive much comfier than a 97
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
lawlzzzz
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
get the 2nd gen as your daily driver, and make your 97 into your trail rig. Or even better, buy an 01-04 first gen!

DO NOT get rid of your first gen...i have a feeling that if you did you will regret it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen is better quality everything ive driven a 2nd gen. It dosnt feel like a truck it feels like im driving a damn mini van.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
subd haha
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
edavidso, I am, not quite certain if your 1st Generation 97 is part of the rusted frame group or not. But, I would confirm you have a good frame under you first before making a decision. I know 98s were part of the buyout, not certain if 97s were. You should inspect and confirm.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
I say sell the 97 and upgrade to 01-04 1st gen. Everyone knows 1st gen>2nd gen.
Seriously.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
1st gen is better quality everything ive driven a 2nd gen. It dosnt feel like a truck it feels like im driving a damn mini van.
i can't speak about quality differences (yet), and my three prior "trucks" were a rubicon, a bronco, and a tahoe, but my '11 DCLB sport drives nothing like any of those "trucks" and i'm damn glad it doesn't. it's smooth, powerful, comfortable and handles well. i can pull 6500 lbs. and still get 20 mpg. if that's what its like to drive a minivan (i've never driven one), well, then i'm not complaining.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Can't speak on your financial situation but if you're putting more $ into maintaining the '97 (which I highly doubt) than a possible monthly payment on the '09 then go for it, other wise...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
edavidso, I am, not quite certain if your 1st Generation 97 is part of the rusted frame group or not. But, I would confirm you have a good frame under you first before making a decision. I know 98s were part of the buyout, not certain if 97s were. You should inspect and confirm.
I didnt knokw the 98's were part of it?? Im going to have to look into that, so if I got rust on my frame, so they can get me a new one
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
Can't speak on your financial situation but if you're putting more $ into maintaining the '97 than a possible monthly payment on the '09 then go for it, other wise...
lol...that would be alot of parts replacement to parallel the value of a truck payment

We drive toyotas...not chebys...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhart View Post
i can't speak about quality differences (yet), and my three prior "trucks" were a rubicon, a bronco, and a tahoe, but my '11 DCLB sport drives nothing like any of those "trucks" and i'm damn glad it doesn't. it's smooth, powerful, comfortable and handles well. i can pull 6500 lbs. and still get 20 mpg. if that's what its like to drive a minivan (i've never driven one), well, then i'm not complaining.
Its just too smooth in my opinion i like to fell the bumps hear the engine and hear the tires go "WOMMMMMM"
Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
lol...that would be alot of parts replacement to parallel the value of a truck payment

We drive toyotas...not chebys...
True, but that's not the way a lot of people think about vehicle decisions, mostly it's the want > need.

OP - or figure out what a monthly payment would cost you on a '09, save that up for 6 months and if it's not hurting you finncially then you know you can make the payments, maintain quality of life and you got a nice down payment already saved up. I'm not trying to preach, just my honest opinion, man.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post

I agree! A mini van or a big Camry.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
True, but that's not the way a lot of people think about vehicle decisions, mostly it's the want > need.
I totally agree. I have one buddy that wonders why I don't trade in my 97 on a newer truck because its "old." I have had minimal problems with my truck and can't afford a car payment. Why trade up, especially when I love my truck and it treats me great.

I constantly have to remind him that its a toyota and the fact he has been through 3 cheby's in the time I have had my yota.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
I agree! A mini van or a big Camry.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc98tacoma View Post
I didnt knokw the 98's were part of it?? Im going to have to look into that, so if I got rust on my frame, so they can get me a new one
No.

They'd buy back your '98 at just over KBB value and then crush it

Plus it's more than just "rust on the frame." It would have to be to the point where the frame is completely deteriorated in spots
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it and run it till it explodes.

My neighbor back in WA had a 83' hilux pickup with the 22r-e, that has over 400,000 miles on it.