Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken Fuel Door Latch

Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
HuckleSmothered is on a distinguished road
HuckleSmothered's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Fuel Door Latch

I figured most everyone had this problem but didn't find any solutions when I searched these forums, so here's my deal ...

The fuel door latch thing is broken on the lock cylinder. Nothing wrong with the cylinder itself. But the cheap plastic piece that connects to the back of the cylinder that turns to allow the fuel door to open broke (not the piece attached to the body of the vehicle though).

So I checked a few junkyards. Could only find one Tacoma. And it had a broken one in the same exact spot as well. Cheap stuff.

Then I checked the dealer, $70, I believe. Other Toyota parts websites, $50. You apparently have to buy the whole cylinder, new lock and key and all ("all" being cheap plastic piece that will break soon).

So has anyone found any good solutions for this plastic latch? Something that still actually allows it to be locked, not just appeared locked?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
HuckleSmothered is on a distinguished road
HuckleSmothered's Tacoma Gallery
I have considered it. I like the idea of using the existing, expensive lock that is there already though.