1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Fuel Door Latch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HuckleSmothered, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext Cab
    I figured most everyone had this problem but didn't find any solutions when I searched these forums, so here's my deal ...

The fuel door latch thing is broken on the lock cylinder. Nothing wrong with the cylinder itself. But the cheap plastic piece that connects to the back of the cylinder that turns to allow the fuel door to open broke (not the piece attached to the body of the vehicle though).

So I checked a few junkyards. Could only find one Tacoma. And it had a broken one in the same exact spot as well. Cheap stuff.

Then I checked the dealer, $70, I believe. Other Toyota parts websites, $50. You apparently have to buy the whole cylinder, new lock and key and all ("all" being cheap plastic piece that will break soon).

So has anyone found any good solutions for this plastic latch? Something that still actually allows it to be locked, not just appeared locked?

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    have you considered getting cap with a lock? they're usually pretty cheap, ~$20.

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext Cab
    I have considered it. I like the idea of using the existing, expensive lock that is there already though.

Products Discussed in

To Top