Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What's better for 2" rear lift...shackles or AAL?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
What's better for 2" rear lift...shackles or AAL?

I'm working on putting together a lift, trying to decide on the rear portion.... can I get some feedback from people who have experience with shackles or AAL's? I'm mostly concerned with ride quality. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on the condition of your springs. The stock ones are pretty weak so if yours are shot then use AAL (although that won't fix things...you would need new springs to fix that). Otherwise shackles aren't a bad way. I had lift shackles on my first truck and they worked well enough.

Cheaply, I would do AAL>Shackles. I personally would get replacement lift springs though. I have OME and I love them.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
It depends on the condition of your springs. The stock ones are pretty weak so if yours are shot then use AAL (although that won't fix things...you would need new springs to fix that). Otherwise shackles aren't a bad way. I had lift shackles on my first truck and they worked well enough.

Cheaply, I would do AAL>Shackles. I personally would get replacement lift springs though. I have OME and I love them.
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely not putting out the money for new springs. I want to lift it cheaply but without blocks.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvd2312 View Post
I'm working on putting together a lift, trying to decide on the rear portion.... can I get some feedback from people who have experience with shackles or AAL's? I'm mostly concerned with ride quality. Thanks!
Neither. A replacement spring pack is the better option.

With worn out springs an add-a-leaf will eventually sag and you will be back to square one. And, while shackles will never lose their 2"s, when used with a worn out springs will cause the spring to sag that much quicker and possibly cause a leaf to break.

If you are truly concerned about ride quality, get a replacement spring pack from wheelers offroad. If you are looking for a little lift, they have a a great 5 leaf pack made by Alcan that give about 1.5".
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Neither. A replacement spring pack is the better option.

With worn out springs an add-a-leaf will eventually sag and you will be back to square one. And, while shackles will never lose their 2"s, when used with a worn out springs will cause the spring to sag that much quicker and possibly cause a leaf to break.

If you are truly concerned about ride quality, get a replacement spring pack from wheelers offroad. If you are looking for a little lift, they have a a great 5 leaf pack made by Alcan that give about 1.5".
My rear springs are fine, my truck doesn't sag at all. I know that a replacement spring pack would truly give me the best ride, but I'm not going to spend the money for that. I'm just looking for the best option between shackles and AAL's.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Not sagging on 15 year old leaf springs? Are they original? If so, I can almost guarantee they are sagging. I have a totally flat arch on my springs on my 97.

But, if you dont want to put in the cash for a leaf pack, get the Icon 3 leaf add a leaf. It will yield a better ride because they are progressive springs.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Not sagging on 15 year old leaf springs? Are they original? If so, I can almost guarantee they are sagging. I have a totally flat arch on my springs on my 97.

But, if you dont want to put in the cash for a leaf pack, get the Icon 3 leaf add a leaf. It will yield a better ride because they are progressive springs.

I'll re-phrase that... based on how the truck sits, the rear springs don't appear to be sagging. I've seen Toyota's that have obvious sag, and mine doesn't look like that. It has a good stock look to it, not a worn out truck look to it. Looking at my leaf springs, they do appear to be fairly flat, but I don't really have anything to compare it to, and I don't know a lot about suspension. I've only had the truck for a year so I don't know if they've ever been replaced, but I'm guessing they haven't. Anyway, thanks for the input!