1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 shifting problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by protoadies, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    protoadies

protoadies [OP] Active Member

Member:
    My wife has 2001 , 4 door v6, with 130k, if its cold outside, or truck sits over night the first time she puts in drive Rpms go up but no power gets to wheels , its only in first gear, first shift after that its totally fine. Once it gets to second gear no problems, reverse is fine. If she stops truck goes shopping etc... comes back truck is still fine first gear no issues, its only first cold shift of the day....

We replaced transmission Filter last weekend and put Lucas trans fluid. Still happening. Dealer replaced filter at 60k I did it at 130k no metal shavings and fluid still looked good and clean when I did it. What should I look for now, wife has a feeling transmission is going to die on her I don't think its that bad, then again I don't want her to get stranded and then ill never hear the end of I told you it was going to die., I knew it was messed up.

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i doubt there's a problem. i think its from being cold(tranny fluid).......mine does it as well.

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    protoadies

protoadies [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Well I drove truck this morning it rpm @ 3500 before it shifted, I have been going by her word, it took awhile to get into second gear, but once it did it was just fine.. it felt like it bogged down I could have floored it this morning but still crawled up to speed before it shifted.it never did it till about 1 1/2 months ago. If u floor it u expect it to take off but not the 1st time, it shifts. We installed a remote start last year and my wife lets it warm up every day for about 5 minutes weather its hot or cold. So its not like its a jump in and take off like bat out of hell its warmed up.

4. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    YoaterBoater

YoaterBoater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    Mine does the same thing. Shifts out of 2nd gear at 2700 in the mornings. I dont think its a huge problem. I dont have the bogging down effect though.

5. Nov 25, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Mine does the same thing. I just take it easy for a few minutes until it warms up.

Products Discussed in

To Top