1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 95TacoChick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    95TacoChick

95TacoChick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    3" body lift with K&N Air filter...more to come
    95 Toyota tacoma, v6 269,600 miles

I recently just found out that my truck doesn't want to start...

I have to turn the key on and off 3 times before it will start and run fine.

We've noted that its not the MAF sensor... we unplugged it, and when i tried starting it, the hubby plugged it in and it started just fine.

PLEASE HELP!!
    Thanks

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Check your battery first...take it to the autoparts store and have them test it...

After that check your starter, same deal the autoparts store can do that. If it needs work contacts and/or plunger are easy to do yourself and way cheaper than buying a remanned.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
  4. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    95TacoChick

Member:
  5. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Could be bad contacts

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    XwesleysnipesX

XwesleysnipesX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4L 2x4 (sold). 2002 2.7L sr5 4x4 (sold) 2017 TRD sport current
    None yet

You most likley have dirty contacts on your starter. When you turn your key you are engaging the contatcs on your solenoid. Thats why after you try it a couple times the current can flow to the starter. Eventually they will get so dirty it wont start and leave you stranded. You might be able to just change the solenoid on top of the starter. Or just change the starter itslef.

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    95TacoChick

Member:
    Ok it doesn't start at all now lol... just keeps turning over and over and over but wont crank up. We tried putting Starter Fluid in and that doesn't start it either. So i didn't get to take it to the Autozone to get it on the scanner.. Also i only have 3 lights instead of 5 that come on when i turn the key to the on position. The 3 that come on are the oil light, battery light, and Airbag... the 2 that dont come on anymore (that used to, when i could get the truck to start) are the Check Engine light and the A/T Oil light.

ANY OTHER IDEAS NOW????

I've heard it could be the computer :/ I hope not!

8. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    XwesleysnipesX

XwesleysnipesX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4L 2x4 (sold). 2002 2.7L sr5 4x4 (sold) 2017 TRD sport current
    None yet
    Well. Sounds like you might have two problems. But the reason it's not starting now is most likely a sensor of some sort. Probably a crankshaft position sensor. Try to get it scanned if you can.

9. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Take it to a local goodyear, thats where i got my starter checked out.

10. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Battle Pope

Battle Pope Christ-a-licious

Member:
    First Name:
    Korben
    Class 6
    Vehicle:
    Automatic 5 Lug
    squash air freshner
    you got gas?

11. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    If the engine it turning but not turning over it not the starter.

Check the ignitor passenger side near the MAF. Its a little black box. Check it to confirm its good. IF not you will get NO spark from the coils what it sounds like.

Did you check all fuses also?

You can try this also if you think its the ecm. pull the ecm out so it can see its shadow :) as you turn the truck over tap the top of the ecm. If the truck starts then its a bad ecm.

edit one more fuel pump out or relay out?

12. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    95TacoChick

Member:
    I had a friends husband check all fuses, relays, everything. They all have 12volts going to them.

Just called the STEALership.... they said its $92 to diagnose the truck. What its doing is very weird to them and very rare that a tacoma computer would be bad and need to be replaced or flashed.

Its hard to digest spending $92 especially right before Christmas, for them to tell me that it is the computer. And then ill have to wait even longer to save up MORE money to buy a computer.

We've tried tapping on it and everything. Nothing works... its all a waiting game when it comes to the CEL coming on. It does it when it wants to. We've moved wires, tapped the computer, messed with relays and fuses, nothing works :/

I'm about to commit suiside over this fkin truck now!

13. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    95TacoChick

Member:

I scanned it.. that was a waist of time, no codes are being thrown, which is another reason why i think its the computer because before all of this BS its doing, i had the CEL on while driving and it was throwing a code, but i just delt with it because its about my CAT. so i ignored it. I knew what it was.. Now this issue. :/

14. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    95TacoChick

Member:

Yup, i do, 3/4 of a tank to be exact. and It runs PERFECTLY FINE if i can get it to start. I just have to WAIT and WAIT and WAIT some more for the check engine light and A/T Oil light to come on before my truck will start.

15. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    Just cause your relays are getting 12V doesn't mean they are working. I had the same issue on my 90' 4Runner and found that the fuel pump relay wasn't working along with my MAf. However if starting fluid doesn't kick her over when sprayed into your air intake then its a spark issue. Start at the battery and work your way to the plugs, with a nice stop at the starter along the way.

The funny thing about my 4Runner issue was that any time I would unplug the battery completely and reset my ECU it would start up fine the fist time. Have you tried that?

16. Nov 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    95TacoChick

Member:
    yes i did reset the battery....

Found the problem, like i thought it was... THE COMPUTER... Junkyards...here i come.

Products Discussed in

To Top