Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Starting Problem

Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
95TacoChick is on a distinguished road

95TacoChick's Tacoma Gallery
Starting Problem

95 Toyota tacoma, v6 269,600 miles

I recently just found out that my truck doesn't want to start...

I have to turn the key on and off 3 times before it will start and run fine.

We've noted that its not the MAF sensor... we unplugged it, and when i tried starting it, the hubby plugged it in and it started just fine.

PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Check your battery first...take it to the autoparts store and have them test it...

After that check your starter, same deal the autoparts store can do that. If it needs work contacts and/or plunger are easy to do yourself and way cheaper than buying a remanned.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

That doesn't sound like anything im having. I have no weird noises, grinds, clicks, or anything. My truck will start right up normally if i just turn the key on and off 3 times, then start it. WEIRD!!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
XwesleysnipesX is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
XwesleysnipesX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TacoChick View Post
That doesn't sound like anything im having. I have no weird noises, grinds, clicks, or anything. My truck will start right up normally if i just turn the key on and off 3 times, then start it. WEIRD!!

You most likley have dirty contacts on your starter. When you turn your key you are engaging the contatcs on your solenoid. Thats why after you try it a couple times the current can flow to the starter. Eventually they will get so dirty it wont start and leave you stranded. You might be able to just change the solenoid on top of the starter. Or just change the starter itslef.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Ok it doesn't start at all now lol... just keeps turning over and over and over but wont crank up. We tried putting Starter Fluid in and that doesn't start it either. So i didn't get to take it to the Autozone to get it on the scanner.. Also i only have 3 lights instead of 5 that come on when i turn the key to the on position. The 3 that come on are the oil light, battery light, and Airbag... the 2 that dont come on anymore (that used to, when i could get the truck to start) are the Check Engine light and the A/T Oil light.

ANY OTHER IDEAS NOW????

I've heard it could be the computer :/ I hope not!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
XwesleysnipesX is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
XwesleysnipesX's Tacoma Gallery
Well. Sounds like you might have two problems. But the reason it's not starting now is most likely a sensor of some sort. Probably a crankshaft position sensor. Try to get it scanned if you can.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok it doesn't start at all now lol... just keeps turning over and over and over but wont crank up. We tried putting Starter Fluid in and that doesn't start it either. So i didn't get to take it to the Autozone to get it on the scanner.. Also i only have 3 lights instead of 5 that come on when i turn the key to the on position. The 3 that come on are the oil light, battery light, and Airbag... the 2 that dont come on anymore (that used to, when i could get the truck to start) are the Check Engine light and the A/T Oil light.

ANY OTHER IDEAS NOW????

Take it to a local goodyear, thats where i got my starter checked out.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
you got gas?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

ANY OTHER IDEAS NOW????

If the engine it turning but not turning over it not the starter.

Check the ignitor passenger side near the MAF. Its a little black box. Check it to confirm its good. IF not you will get NO spark from the coils what it sounds like.

Did you check all fuses also?

You can try this also if you think its the ecm. pull the ecm out so it can see its shadow as you turn the truck over tap the top of the ecm. If the truck starts then its a bad ecm.

edit one more fuel pump out or relay out?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #12

I had a friends husband check all fuses, relays, everything. They all have 12volts going to them.

Just called the STEALership.... they said its $92 to diagnose the truck. What its doing is very weird to them and very rare that a tacoma computer would be bad and need to be replaced or flashed.

Its hard to digest spending $92 especially right before Christmas, for them to tell me that it is the computer. And then ill have to wait even longer to save up MORE money to buy a computer.

We've tried tapping on it and everything. Nothing works... its all a waiting game when it comes to the CEL coming on. It does it when it wants to. We've moved wires, tapped the computer, messed with relays and fuses, nothing works :/

I'm about to commit suiside over this fkin truck now!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwesleysnipesX View Post
Well. Sounds like you might have two problems. But the reason it's not starting now is most likely a sensor of some sort. Probably a crankshaft position sensor. Try to get it scanned if you can.

I scanned it.. that was a waist of time, no codes are being thrown, which is another reason why i think its the computer because before all of this BS its doing, i had the CEL on while driving and it was throwing a code, but i just delt with it because its about my CAT. so i ignored it. I knew what it was.. Now this issue. :/
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
you got gas?

Yup, i do, 3/4 of a tank to be exact. and It runs PERFECTLY FINE if i can get it to start. I just have to WAIT and WAIT and WAIT some more for the check engine light and A/T Oil light to come on before my truck will start.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had a friends husband check all fuses, relays, everything. They all have 12volts going to them.

Just called the STEALership.... they said its $92 to diagnose the truck. What its doing is very weird to them and very rare that a tacoma computer would be bad and need to be replaced or flashed.

Its hard to digest spending $92 especially right before Christmas, for them to tell me that it is the computer. And then ill have to wait even longer to save up MORE money to buy a computer.

We've tried tapping on it and everything. Nothing works... its all a waiting game when it comes to the CEL coming on. It does it when it wants to. We've moved wires, tapped the computer, messed with relays and fuses, nothing works :/

I'm about to commit suiside over this fkin truck now!
Just cause your relays are getting 12V doesn't mean they are working. I had the same issue on my 90' 4Runner and found that the fuel pump relay wasn't working along with my MAf. However if starting fluid doesn't kick her over when sprayed into your air intake then its a spark issue. Start at the battery and work your way to the plugs, with a nice stop at the starter along the way.

The funny thing about my 4Runner issue was that any time I would unplug the battery completely and reset my ECU it would start up fine the fist time. Have you tried that?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #16

yes i did reset the battery....

Found the problem, like i thought it was... THE COMPUTER... Junkyards...here i come.