Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Icon rear shocks with reservoir and AAL

Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
eviele will become famous soon enougheviele will become famous soon enough

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Icon rear shocks with reservoir and AAL

Hi all,

Anyone else have the newer Icon rear shocks with the reservoir?
I installed mine the other day - pictures will follow when I can - and the boot that protects the lower shock seems to drag on the e-brake cable.

So now, the e-brake light comes on when I'm braking or traveling rough roads.

I installed some AAL to see if that would change the geometry and help, but no go.
It seems like I have two options, remove the boot, or run the shock upside down. Can you even do that? Run the shock upside down I mean?
At this point I'm just making stuff up....

This is what I installed:
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-316-19...ge-3-lift.aspx

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Great set up choice!, Any way you e brake cable on the rear axle should cross pretty much parallel to the eye of the lower shock, the boot shouldn't be in the way, but if it is I would take the bracket on the back of the differential and flip it upside down so it pushes the cable lower and out of the way of the boot, then just adjust your e brake.

Don't run the shocks upside down they won't work correctly. let me go get some pics for you

nvm camera is dead!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Pic of the supension?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for chiming in all. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

I've attached a couple of pics so you can see how close the boot is to the ebrake line. It snags every so often and the light comes on in the cab.

All in all I love the suspension although putting it in was a challenge.
I'm a noob at wrenching and in the final image you can see I removed the castle nut hoping to put in UCA's this weekend. I couldn't break the ball joint taper let alone press it out.
Bah.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the ebrake mount to the differential later on.
Thanks for the tips and advice.

Eric

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Re-mount the resi onto the frame, and pull the boot up.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery

Sorry for the pic, but see mine is mounted on the frame.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Sorry for the pic, but see mine is mounted on the frame.
HA! Seems so simple...why didn't I think of that?? Shit...

Yours must be 2nd gen because the shock is mounted outside the frame, no?
I think the icons for the 2nd gen came with a frame mount kit.

The icons for the 1st gen ones - or at least mine - only came with those two hose clamps. Not sure if I can find a place on the frame to attach them, but I'll look around tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the tip.
Looks like raising the boot would help a lot. I'll see what I can do.