Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question...Improving Traction in Snow for 1998 PreRunner

Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
cobb.bd is on a distinguished road
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Question...Improving Traction in Snow for 1998 PreRunner

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are having to move due to employment. We currently live in an area where it only snows on occasion, however it will snow regularly where we are moving to.

Currently I have a 1998 PreRunner with the full OME kit and 32" BFG All Terrains. My truck is not a TRD model, thus it does not come with a limited slip differential.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for driving in snow and adding additional traction with a PreRunner. I know how to drive in snow, I would just like some addition input on a way to gain additional traction.

Also, I am considering installing a Detroit Truetrac Limited Slip...anyone have any experience on this.

Thanks for the assisstance.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
No experience with the truetrac.

But weight is the key to get more traction for rear wheel driving. I barely ever use my 4wd in the winter, only time i use it is when im stuck in the snow or driving through +6" of snow. Sandbags
Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post

But weight is the key to get more traction for rear wheel driving. I barely ever use my 4wd in the winter, only time i use it is when im stuck in the snow or driving through +6" of snow. Sandbags
Yes, forgot to mention the sandbags.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest snow tires. Mud tires suck in snow, snow tires are a night and day difference.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
ratso is on a distinguished road
ratso's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure a locker or limited slip will help.It will definitely be fun to drive,until you get sideways and stuck.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
spezzy is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Thayne
spezzy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post

Yep, thats how we do it in Wisconsin! Worse comes to worst .... or a dog team.... just an idea.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso View Post
Im not sure a locker or limited slip will help.It will definitely be fun to drive,until you get sideways and stuck.
So the limited slip would not help with traction or improve driving in snow?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
ratso is on a distinguished road
ratso's Tacoma Gallery
With having power to both rear tires the traction is better.T
he rear will then push the front.This will cause you get sideways.If you do a 180 on the road it will be hard to just back up and straighten out with snow and ice.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
studded tires?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
studded tires?
No studded tires, just the stock BFG All Terrains.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
This^. I have open diff and drive in snow pretty often. With a few sand bags it does great. Just have to drive slow and careful!
So...it looks like I should save myself the $500.00 and go just with the sandbags and possibly a set of chains.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
So...it looks like I should save myself the $500.00 and go just with the sandbags and possibly a set of chains.
yes. A locked rear end or limited slip can worsen traction in the snow for rear wheel drive vehicles. A good set of tires (tall, skinny and snowflake rated), some weight over or in front of the axle in the bed (don't put weight behind the axle, you want to weigh down the rear without unweighting the front) and going light on the skinny pedal is the best you can do in the snow. Studded snows are great and chains are awesome if you are constantly in deeper snow or unmaintained roads.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Sand bags!!! Chains if required by the state for any mountain passes.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
I like rud tire chains with twisted links. Usually carry a full spare and 100-200lbs worth of tools/sand and you'll be set. My jeep with a spool in the back handles like shit in on snowy roads but great in the deep stuff. I would just weight it down and get a really goo
Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
I like rud tire chains with twisted links. Usually carry a full spare and 100-200lbs worth of tools/sand and you'll be set. My jeep with a spool in the back handles like shit in on snowy roads but great in the deep stuff. I would just weight it down and get a really goo
Weight it down and get a really goo......um what?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I would get goodyear duratracs and stud them. I've heard they are awesome in the snow and they come predrilled for studs. An LSD or locker will help u get our of snow when ur stuck but can make handling unpredictable at speed.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will stick with the BFG All Terrains, not looking to spend much more on tires since I just bought the BFG's. I will get some sandbags and place accordingly over the axle. Also, I will have to invest in a set of chains.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
BigBlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
BigBlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run Nordman SUV (studded) and rarely use my 4WD in Alaska. I have 5 40 lb sandbags over the rear axles too.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
I think I will stick with the BFG All Terrains, not looking to spend much more on tires since I just bought the BFG's. I will get some sandbags and place accordingly over the axle. Also, I will have to invest in a set of chains.
I've run nothing but BFG ATs on all my trucks since moving out to Colorado and they've been nothing short of very solid on snow/wintry roads going up and down mountain passes for the past 20 years
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry damn Ihone... Meant to finish it off with really good chains. Or if your in a pinch you can always cut down semi truck chains which are a dime a dozen on c-list. And yes Bfg at's fit the bill nicely in snow.