Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Radio Wiring Harness layout 2000 Tacoma

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Radio Wiring Harness layout 2000 Tacoma

I have a 2000 tacoma ext ca v6 4x4 manual sr5. It has an aftermarket radio installed that was installed by a shop a couple years ago but my dimmer switch has never dimmed the radio. I don't think the dimmer wire was ever hooked up. Does anyone have a manual or something that tells what the different color wires are? I know what wire off the radio to hook into I just need to know which one on the truck. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket stereos don't normally respond to the dimmer switch. Instead, they have only two brightness settings. The first (brighter) one is when the stereo is on, but your lights are not. The second (slightly dimmer) on is when the stereo AND your light are on. (This was the case on the Alpine I ran in my '92 Toyota Pickup and is also the case with the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 I recently installed in my Tacoma.)

That said, if I still have the wiring diagrams, I'll post them here shortly...
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Aftermarket stereos don't normally respond to the dimmer switch. Instead, they have only two brightness settings. The first (brighter) one is when the stereo is on, but your lights are not. The second (slightly dimmer) on is when the stereo AND your light are on. (This was the case on the Alpine I ran in my '92 Toyota Pickup and is also the case with the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 I recently installed in my Tacoma.)

mine has a dimmer setting. i can turn it on or off. when on it doesnt do anything at all. the factory radio dimmed and my current radio is a pioneer fh-p8000bt. according to the diagram on pioneers website the radio dimmer wire is orange white heres the link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...Manual0228.pdf
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
That's called the illumination lead on mine, and it does what I said above. I've never had a Pioneer stereo, so I can't confirm or deny what you're saying. I suspect, however, you're not seeing any dimmer response because it's setup like both of mine have been.

Here's the wiring diagram from the wiring harness Crutchfield supplied for my 2004...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota Stereo Wiring.pdf (542.6 KB, 331 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
That's called the illumination lead on mine, and it does what I said above. I've never had a Pioneer stereo, so I can't confirm or deny what you're saying. I suspect, however, you're not seeing any dimmer response because it's setup like both of mine have been.

Here's the wiring diagram from the wiring harness Crutchfield supplied for my 2004...
according to that diagram its the orange white wire as well. i will check this out tomorrow and confirm if it works or not thanks for the help though
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:

You are correct my stereo would not respond to the dimmer wire. Thanks for the help though
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
You are correct my stereo would not respond to the dimmer wire. Thanks for the help though
I'm sorry to hear that. Not sure why, with all the extra functionality built into aftermarket stereos, that they couldn't build-in a simple dimmer...

You're very welcome, BTW.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

you would think
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
saitcho is on a distinguished road
saitcho's Tacoma Gallery
So they basically told you the dimmer function of your pioneer radio would never work? All you should need to get it to work is a wire with 12v on with lights on and 12v off with lights off. There is no wire behind our radio that will do that??? The "orange/white" wire isnt the right wire?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
WestEnd is on a distinguished road
WestEnd's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I missed it in your post, but which model radio do you have?
On some cars the dimmer may be solid orange, orange/black or more commonly orange white.
However, many radios are buing built without a dimmer circuit at all.

If your radio does have one, connect it to the green wire on your Tacoma's radio harness. It is the factory illumination circuit.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #11

Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saitcho View Post
So they basically told you the dimmer function of your pioneer radio would never work? All you should need to get it to work is a wire with 12v on with lights on and 12v off with lights off. There is no wire behind our radio that will do that??? The "orange/white" wire isnt the right wire?
No. As I said previously, many aftermarket stereos don't respond to the vehicle's (variable) dimmer switch. Instead, they have TWO brightness settings. The first (brighter) one is when the stereo is on, but your lights are not. The second (slightly dimmer) one is when the stereo AND your light are on. This capability is controlled through the Orange/White wire to which you refer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
On some cars the dimmer may be solid orange, orange/black or more commonly orange white.
However, many radios are buing built without a dimmer circuit at all.
True.
Quote:
If your radio does have one, connect it to the green wire on your Tacoma's radio harness. It is the factory illumination circuit.
In my experience, false. My illumination wire is Orange/White, just like the aftermarket harness for which I posted the wiring diagram above. Green wires are for the left rear speaker.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #12

Norton is correct I tried the wire that was labled dimmer from the factory harness that was 12v on with lights on and it would not work so i didnt bother with it however i did integrate usb ports into my truck today. 2 for data with the radio and 2 for charging usb acc.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
WestEnd is on a distinguished road
WestEnd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No. As I said previously, many aftermarket stereos don't respond to the vehicle's (variable) dimmer switch. Instead, they have TWO brightness settings. The first (brighter) one is when the stereo is on, but your lights are not. The second (slightly dimmer) one is when the stereo AND your light are on. This capability is controlled through the Orange/White wire to which you refer.

True.

In my experience, false. My illumination wire is Orange/White, just like the aftermarket harness for which I posted the wiring diagram above. Green wires are for the left rear speaker.
I wasn't very clear. The green (illumination) wire I'm referring to is from the factory radio harness... not the aftermarket harness. You would connect the orange/white wire from the aftermarket harness to this green wire.

The green wire I think you're talking about is the Left Rear (+) speaker feed from the aftermarket harness??
Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I wasn't very clear. The green (illumination) wire I'm referring to is from the factory radio harness... not the aftermarket harness. You would connect the orange/white wire from the aftermarket harness to this green wire.

The green wire I think you're talking about is the Left Rear (+) speaker feed from the aftermarket harness??

i have an adapter which adapts the factory over to my radio. The dimmer circuit from the factory does not do anything to my radio. I guess it does not respond to it.