Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Put Put Put noise and white smoke!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Put Put Put noise and white smoke!

So my 97' 4 banger, pre-runner, stick shift .. started to crap out. the original motor in it ran about 250k miles before the 3rd cylinder died. Had the engine replaced with another 4banger that was said to have about 100k on it..

anywho, it has been about 1 year since the replacement and now the problems are: white smoke out of the exhaust, engine making put put put or tick tick tick noise.. the more gas you give the faster the noise goes. seems as if it has no pressure/power. Put in first fear, let the clutch off slowly the truck will start to die. give it gas and it barely wants to move.. give it more gas and it moves just a tad bit.. as if it has no power? and the whole time, there is a cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd start with the simple stuff, air and fuel delivery. I'm not familiar with the 1st Gens but do they have an in-line fuel filter, if so, was that replaced when you did the engine swap? Check the air filter, make sure mice haven't made a nest in your intake (doubtful but that stuff is cheap to check and you might get lucky)

Does it burn oil between service intervals that you've noticed?

Check the coolant, make sure it's all coolant and no oil has made it's way into the coolant.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
valve seats / seals are good place to start if your burning oil and gettign ticking noises that corelate with engine rpm. check compression on cylinders. could be bottom end problem as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
valve seats / seals are good place to start if your burning oil and gettign ticking noises that coralate with engine rpm. check compression on cylinders. could be bottom end problem as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
white smoke and a miss is often a blown head gasket...look for contamination to the radiator and dipstick and for water out the tailpipe.

Good luck...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
while my brother was stranded at a gas station waiting for me to go scoop him up, a local mechanic mentioned it is a high chance that the gasket blew...

white smoke and water out of the tailpipe is a sign of a blown gasket... and brother said that he heard and started to hear it since the night before! ... the truck recently got an oil change

what exactly am i looking for when i pull the dipstick?? water im assuming?

i appreciate the replies! will definitely start looking at the other things mentioned.. especially that sneeky mice
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
while my brother was stranded at a gas station waiting for me to go scoop him up, a local mechanic mentioned it is a high chance that the gasket blew...

white smoke and water out of the tailpipe is a sign of a blown gasket... and brother said that he heard and started to hear it since the night before! ... the truck recently got an oil change

what exactly am i looking for when i pull the dipstick?? water im assuming?

i appreciate the replies! will definitely start looking at the other things mentioned.. especially that sneeky mice
your oil will look like chocolate milk if there is coolant in the oil.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
glad you figured it out, and sorry for the bad news!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Another fun way is to remove the radiator cap. Then start the truck with the hood open. If it splashes out. Shoot it directly between the headlights.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Another fun way is to remove the radiator cap. Then start the truck with the hood open. If it splashes out. Shoot it directly between the headlights.

that statement makes me sad...lol...

HG's suck, but your motor isn't trashed unless you drive too much on it and overheat the motor badly.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
It's like a $50 gasket kit, seen some as low as $25 on ebay. There's a decent amount of labor so if you don't feel comfortable doing it call up a few shops and ask what the labor rate is if you buy the parts. That should save you the markup on the gaskets.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
well was thinking maybe $2000obo for the condition it is in?

nothing else is really mechanically wrong with it... i mean there are some cosmetic discrepancies but hey, its a 1997.
dont sell it like it is. It will be anywhere between $500-$1000 in labor to do the gasket. The gasket itself is cheap.

I say fix it and keep it, or fix it and sell it for a decent price.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
lbrownin is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
lbrownin's Tacoma Gallery
Local shop quoted me $900to replace my HG. They had this bulb thingy they put in the radiator to check for combustion gases.