Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installing 5100's without a Spring Compressor Video

Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
do it this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIEI...eature=related
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #22
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm...very interesting. Seems pretty safe to me. I might give it a try next time I do a suspension job.

I have a pair of the harbor freight compressors. I have used them more times than I can count doing suspension work on my vehicles and friends' vehicles. I've never had a failure with them. The key is make sure they're evenly spaced on the spring and use air tools. I did the front suspension on my truck in about an hour by myself with my compressors. I didn't remove the LCA though, I seperated the UCA ball joint from the knuckle.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
this way seems a lot safer to me, even if that coil found it's way off the shock, it's going straight up into the truck, nowhere near anybodies head...
the upper control arm would stop it from coming towards you.

seems like the way to do it to me!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
That's hilarious. I love the delayed reaction.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
Shoulda used this new method! Way easy and very safe! Lowering the lower control arm and shock is no different then lifting and lowering your whole front end of your truck!

Like i said people it is the easiest way ever! Fuck those stupid hook style coil compressors from auto zone or harbour frieght!
It is different because you're compressing a not-yet-attached spring.

Again, I'm not saying "don't do it.". I'm saying "be careful."
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
chickenhead is on a distinguished road
chickenhead's Tacoma Gallery
My only concern is these cheap ass chinese made jacks these days. I cant find an older floor jack to buy anywhere unless their $600. Hopefully the new ones made today wont be defective.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #29
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'm working on ordering my 5100's and eibach's. I will definitely be doing this!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #30
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead View Post
My only concern is these cheap ass chinese made jacks these days. I cant find an older floor jack to buy anywhere unless their $600. Hopefully the new ones made today wont be defective.
My $35 Harbor Freight 2.5 ton jack has served me well for the last 6 years. It leaks a little oil and requires a refill every so often but thats it. It's chinese made and has lifted more cars and trucks than I can count.

The key with buying stuff from them is the less moving parts, the better. Not all Chinese stuff is crap.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #31
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Bottle jacks seem to hold up better than floor jacks. My 14 month old AC/Delco floor jack just started having a slow pressure leak, and easing the load down instead of holding it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #32

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE:

I installed my eibach coils on my 5100's at .85 and used this method, it was extremely easy, completely safe, and the only way i'll be putting coils on from now on.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #33
pinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nice
pinchetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Damnit I just paid a shop to do press mine. I'll be doing this method from now on... Seems pretty safe to me spring compressors are pretty dangerous and if you were to let that jack down to fast the shock would stop most of the force from the spring and like it was stated before it would go into the wheel well instead of your pretty face
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #34

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
it also didn't take much compressing to get the top nut on. had something let go, the UCA would have held the shock and coil in place, especially since you don't compress until you have the lower shock mount in.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
jerlane is on a distinguished road
jerlane's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting ready to install my new billsteins using this method and I was wondering how important it is to use a torque wrench when putting everything back together. Is it bad to just crank everything tight by hand or with an impact wrench? I've never done this type of project before.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
I'm getting ready to install my new billsteins using this method and I was wondering how important it is to use a torque wrench when putting everything back together. Is it bad to just crank everything tight by hand or with an impact wrench? I've never done this type of project before.
Thanks in advance!
Not trying to be a dick, but by the very question you ask, the first thing I think is SHOULD you use this method, c'mon brother you're asking if its bad to tighten by hand or use an impact ? Or the importance of torque wrenches... These are things I'd assume you are already familiar with

I'm not putting you down just trying to get a handle on your mech ability is all....

But the willingness to try & maybe learn a thing or two is always good in my book....
Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #37
jerlane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but by the very question you ask, the first thing I think is SHOULD you use this method, c'mon brother you're asking if its bad to tighten by hand or use an impact ? Or the importance of torque wrenches... These are things I'd assume you are already familiar with

I'm not putting you down just trying to get a handle on your mech ability is all....

But the willingness to try & maybe learn a thing or two is always good in my book....
Thanks for the lecture. That was almost helpful. I guess I should never try to expand my skill set.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #38
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
dude, don't get angry, 4wd was trying to help you out.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #39
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
Thanks for the lecture. That was almost helpful. I guess I should never try to expand my skill set.

Bro', read the last couple of sentences of my post to you , & for what its worth if we were just talking about a simple procedure I probably wouldn't have responded, but doing struts is serious shit no matter HOW easy it looks , I've done many struts with compressors & the way described above, if your up to it have at & I apologize, like I said not trying to lecture/put down/ridicule,etc; good luck

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #40
jerlane's Tacoma Gallery
OK, OK... no harm, no foul. I'm mechanically inclined, I just don't have a lot of auto experience which is why I'm looking for advice here. People have posted that some have used torque wrenches while others have not. I'm trying to do it the right way.
Thanks for the help!