Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installing 5100's without a Spring Compressor Video

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #41
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Using a torque wrench for some things is more important than others, but it's generally a good idea to use one if the manual calls for a specific torque setting. Just make sure you buy a GOOD one, a torque wrench is definitely not a tool you want to go cheap on. I'd be willing to bet money there are almost as many people who have broken bolts using a cheap torque wrench as there are people who weren't using one at all.

I have to admit, when I first read the post I was skeptical but after watching the video it really does seem safer than using a spring compressor, easier too. When I did mine one of the most difficult parts was getting the spring/shock assembly back into place, so using this method would have saved me a decent amount of effort and time. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #42
jerlane is on a distinguished road
jerlane's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, that's the type of info I'm looking for. I've been reading reviews here on torque wrenches and there definitely seems to be mixed reviews on brands like Craftsman. I'd rather not spend $150-$200 on one if possible. Anyone have any suggestions for a good, reasonably priced (under $100) torque wrench?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #43
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I may try this as I am putting the .5" spacer on my 884s. Need to take the spring off to install the longer bolts.

Anyone know the torque specs for the LCA bolts and the alignment bolts (being loosened)..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #44
pahennessey is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
pahennessey's Tacoma Gallery
I know that this is an older thread now, but I thought I'd give my .02.

I used this method yesterday to when I installed Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75 and it was completely painless and straight forward. I highly recommend this method for even people with novice mechanical ability.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #45
FishOn209 is on a distinguished road
FishOn209's Tacoma Gallery
Can this method be use to take the complete with the topper out too?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #46
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to bump this because people need to know about this..

Seriously, if you are using a spring compressor you are doing it WRONG.... i have used a spring compressor for quite some time on struts every time the 1st gen prerunner taco my dad drives needed shocks.

I decided to try this on my 2013 when installing my 5100's @ 1.75 and i gotta say holly hell.... talk about EASY and MUCH MUCH safer than any janky spring compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOn209 View Post
Can this method be use to take the complete with the topper out too?
Yes.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #47
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
FYI this is how typically rear lift springs are installed in 4Runners/FJs. Put a jack under the axle, remove the shock (which is the droop limiter), and slowly lower the jack until the spring is free:

(go to 24:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-0hMzv_RU
Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #48
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I am going to bump this because people need to know about this..

Seriously, if you are using a spring compressor you are doing it WRONG.... i have used a spring compressor for quite some time on struts every time the 1st gen prerunner taco my dad drives needed shocks.

I decided to try this on my 2013 when installing my 5100's @ 1.75 and i gotta say holly hell.... talk about EASY and MUCH MUCH safer than any janky spring compressor.

Yes.
I tried this and almost took off a limb. Probably did it wrong but not recomended IMO.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #50
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I tried this and almost took off a limb. Probably did it wrong but not recomended IMO.
Yeah chris ya must've done something wrong, easily the safer of the standard R&R of struts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
What was the cause of your near accident?

I'm considering this method to swap my coils next week
I've changed many a tacoma coil using compressors & after doing it without the compressor, I'll never go back to one..
Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #51
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What was the cause of your near accident?

I'm considering this method to swap my coils next week
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Yeah chris ya must've done something wrong, easily the safer of the standard R&R of struts....

I've changed many a tacoma coil using compressors & after doing it without the compressor, I'll never go back to one..
I have no idea . One of the local guys was coaching me through (did it on his 2nd gen twice. I think I wasn't able to get the spring completely unloaded. Anyways, the assembly shot out and something flew about 20ft. To this day I dont know what it was

It was during a mod meet and I forgot who was helping but we got lucky but I almost killed EL TACOROJO. Ryan (wrmathis) was laughing his ass off.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #52
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I have no idea . One of the local guys was coaching me through (did it on his 2nd gen twice. I think I wasn't able to get the spring completely unloaded. Anyways, the assembly shot out and something flew about 20ft. To this day I dont know what it was

It was during a mod meet and I forgot who was helping but we got lucky but I almost killed EL TACOROJO. Ryan (wrmathis) was laughing his ass off.

Ahhh, bet i know, you didn't have the jack quite under the LCA or not enough jack pressure under it & you removed the center nut allowing the spring to unload on its own (no lowering of jack to slowly de compress)

think maybe this ??
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #54
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Ahhh, bet i know, you didn't have the jack quite under the LCA or not enough jack pressure under it & you removed the center nut allowing the spring to unload on its own (no lowering of jack to slowly de compress)

think maybe this ??
We had it compressed just fine. I think the issue was when we slowing released the jack, it didnt go down enough to unload the spring fully . Honestly it was a while ago and I was just happy to walk away from it.

I prefer a decent set of spring compressors. The autozone ones worked on the 620 lb springs just fine...

If you know what you are doing and carefull, its easy, but the risk is a bit higher if you ask me.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #55
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok I'm gonna give this a shot in the next couple days. The video is on a 2nd gen, anything different that I need to know to do this on my '01 ?
We'll I went ahead and used this method today to swap my coils from the OME 881 to 883s

The decompression of the coils went perfectly, super safe and easy. I won't even consider using those sketchy coil compressors ever again.

I didn't have to loosen the LCA bolts at all, but it was a bit tricky to get them pushed down far enough to get the strut coil assembly back in and the bolt holes lined up. Nothing a hammer/ screwdriver/ and pry bar couldn't handle. Maybe had I loosened them it would have been easier but oh well..

My biggest issue was getting the F'n top nut off the shock shaft on the PS.. ended up cutting it off and running out to get a new nut.

All in all, it was very straight forward and I'm very grateful for coming across this method!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #56
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
We used the method with the last mod day. It is easy, also easy to forget the energy there and not respect it. Can't see how it would fly out past the UCA, but can see a finger getting jammed , or worse.