Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installing 5100's without a Spring Compressor Video

Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
chickenhead is on a distinguished road
chickenhead's Tacoma Gallery
Installing 5100's without a Spring Compressor Video

I ordered my 5100's for the front and I am waiting for them to arrive. Ive been reading on here for days on tips for the install. I found this video on youtube and I have not seen anyone from TW do this method yet. What do you guys think? Too dangerous or a good idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
It obviously works but not really safe in my opinion. For the $50 it'd cost you (if that) to have them assembled at a local shop, it's not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
That will work but way to dangerous for me, I am gonna just rent a compressor in the spring when I put my 5100's on.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen this done infront of me like 7 times... No hint of danger ever seen.....
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
The only potential danger I see is letting the jack down too fast after taking off the nut on top of the shock.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. If the LCA slips off the jack, not only is it going to spring to the fully down position, but now also the spring can fly free with force and momentum.

I'd never tell you not to do it, but proceed with caution.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Yeah. If the LCA slips off the jack, not only is it going to spring to the fully down position, but now also the spring can fly free with force and momentum.

I'd never tell you not to do it, but proceed with caution.
this
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
This is safer than spring compressors, and easier
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
I will give it a shot. I have been wanting to buy a new floor jack anyways. If I dont reply back for a while, you know why. LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
that's derek, he's a member here. just take it slow and be smart and you'll be fine.

it's not like sping compressors are the safest things out there either...
Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
This is old school coil spring replacement, I did almost exactly the same thing when replacing the coils in my 77 cutlass.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its another old school way to do it if you are mech. capable of doing safely, I know the spring compressors warp as they compress, looks sketchy as hell. As for me its no issue I just take out the struts & go to my buddies place & use a press , of course not everyone has this kind of access. However you go about it just make sure you understand what you are doing & understand the inherent danger that comes from this type of proceedure.....

650 lb spring = it takes 650lbs of pressure to compress spring 1", preloaded struts are approx. 1"-2" compressed installed which means theres roughly 1/2 ton of compressed energy just waiting to replace your head if you fuck up.....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Yeah its another old school way to do it if you are mech. capable of doing safely, I know the spring compressors warp as they compress, looks sketchy as hell. As for me its no issue I just take out the struts & go to my buddies place & use a press , of course not everyone has this kind of access. However you go about it just make sure you understand what you are doing & understand the inherent danger that comes from this type of proceedure.....

650 lb spring = it takes 650lbs of pressure to compress spring 1", preloaded struts are approx. 1"-2" compressed installed which means theres roughly 1/2 ton of compressed energy just waiting to replace your head if you fuck up.....
Quit scarin people, old man

We've been doing it this way for a little while now and it's 10x easier than using those crappy hooks. Lol I remember the hooks going out on us when we were doing my OME coils- now that was scary.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
We recently performed this method and it was safer than any coil compressor that we have ever used and we have used them all! Like RJ said we have done it 7 times now and it gets easier every time! Just make sure your jack is placed properly and youll have no problems. It was the easiest shock swap we have ever done. Dont for get to mark your alignment tabs so they go back the way they were when you started.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
Its a cake walk doing it this way! If i had known about this method a couple years ago things would have gone so much easier.
Word, man. That night we spent installing your Eibachs and my OMEs was loooong. Uninstall shocks, uncompress stock coils, compress Eibachs, Install shocks, uninstall gregs shocks, uncompress stock coils, compress OMEs, install shocks... all by using hand wrenches!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We recently performed this method and it was safer than any coil compressor that we have ever used and we have used them all! Like RJ said we have done it 7 times now and it gets easier every time! Just make sure your jack is placed properly and youll have no problems. It was the easiest shock swap we have ever done. Dont for get to mark your alignment tabs so they go back the way they were when you started.
Quote:
Its a cake walk doing it this way! If i had known about this method a couple years ago things would have gone so much easier.
Quote:
Do you realize how fast we would have been done if we used the new method? Crazy!
this took, maybe 10 minutes....the remaining 30 minutes was figuring out how to get the bolts out of the top plate so we could insert the longer ones...
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
sketchy...i rented a spring compressor from autozone and after we finally got them together, the damn spring compressor was stuck in the eibach coils! had to take it to a shop to get them to take it out and while i was there had them assemble the other one haha
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
sketchy...i rented a spring compressor from autozone and after we finally got them together, the damn spring compressor was stuck in the eibach coils! had to take it to a shop to get them to take it out and while i was there had them assemble the other one haha
Shoulda used this new method! Way easy and very safe! Lowering the lower control arm and shock is no different then lifting and lowering your whole front end of your truck!

Like i said people it is the easiest way ever! Fuck those stupid hook style coil compressors from auto zone or harbour frieght!