1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ditching the camper shell need tonneau recommendations

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by trdracing5, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I have decided that I am going to ditch the camper shell on my Tacoma (my son said it looked “grandpa-ish”-I kind of liked the look).
    I used to carry a bunch of tools that were used mostly for construction.

Since the major construction project I was working on is over, I don’t need to carry as many tools in my truck.

I am looking for recommendations on either a folding or retractable tonneau.
    I would love something that is close to being water-tight (and affordable).

I prefer the roll-up aluminum type versus the fold-up type but would consider either.
    I am not really looking for the fabric type of tonneau.

Let me know if anyone has any recommendations on what I should get to replace the camper shell.

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    It depends a lot on how much you are in and out of the back of your truck, I had the roll up type on my taco when I bought it but the box for the cover took up a lot of space so I got rid of it and bought a camper shell(topper up here in the north). I take the topper off in the summer but on my old 71 chev I built a tonneau from plywood, and it served the purpose quite well and was pretty cheap too, it just folded onto itself when I needed to haul something that didn't fit under it.

Products Discussed in

To Top