1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Racing UCA's

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Talbotman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    Talbotman

Talbotman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Ripon, California
    Vehicle:
    2002 "Toy Taco"
    3" custom lift kit, 285/75/r16 toyo open country AT's, Billy 5100's in front and 5150's in back, Weld 16x10 rims, Flowmaster 2 chamber, 6000k bi-xenon hid kit, grey wire mod, and smoked tail lights
    Looking into getting a set of aftermarket UCA's but not exactly sure what i should get. Saw the Light Racing pair on Wheelers and interested because of the adjustablility but unsure because of that fact, meaning allowing room for things to loosen and fall out of adjustment. Just looking for some insight thanks

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    I have heard nothing but praise out of the LR UCA's. If I were to get a set of UCA's it would be them because of the adjust-ability, and the booted ball joint. Its too dusty and muddy here in FL to deal with Uniball joints.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I have the LR UCA's and are very happy with them. Like other's have said, they give you the means to make adjustments to bring your truck back into allignment specs after lifting and have a "sealed" ball joint.

Besides, once they are torqued down, they won't budge. The big nut that hold the ball joint to the arm gets torqued to 120 ft/lb. If you do something that causes that to move after being torqued, you were doing something you probably shouldn't have been doing in the first place.

4. Dec 3, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you will not have any problems with the adjustments on the arms coming loose..
    i have been running them for almost 2 years now and never had a problem with that....
    that beig said i have had problems with the ball joints and the bushings......
    the ball joints are nott 100% sealed.....proprer maint. on that will prevent it..."taking off boot cleaning out n re greasing" im in the nor east so it takes a toll out here.....
    and as for the bushings i had total failure as have some others....but let me tell you spc and fat bobs "where i got them from" have stood behind their product like no others......
    they have issued replacement ball joints and arms and mind you this is or was almost 2 years after purchase......
    overall i am very happy with them it has brought my truck back into spec...and solved any body mount chop needed as i adjusted them to prevent that..running 33's
    good luck

5. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I thought I read something about that design "flaw" being changed/fixed? Is this still a problem? :confused:

6. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    dont know but they gave me 8 washers to install on this batch.....so thats something
    but the bushing still look the same

7. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Supposedly they are coming out with a poly bushing soon

8. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    that would be the way to go

9. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    MTNative

MTNative Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you all install them yourselves or have a shop put them on? I've got a set I want to put on but not sure if I need a press or not and if it is something I can do in the garage. Any insight here will help a bunch. Thanks

10. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    install everything myself
    it will take you about 2 hours. if u have not done this before
    a few wrenchs some grease a lump hammer and your ready to go

1. jack truck remove wheels
    2. remove 10mm and 14mm bolts that retain brake / abs sensor wires
    3. loosen castle nut then hit with hammer to break free
    4. remove castle nut and use a bungie cord to support the lca n such
    5. remove long ucal bolt "bend some fender out of way"
    6. install loose then tighten when truck back on ground to 87 ft. lbs
    7. get alingment

castle nut is 21mm
    and uca bolts 19mm

11. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    ttran

ttran Expert Mallcrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    Installed my LR UCA's by myself in my garage, a press isn't needed. You'll need an alignment afterwards.

12. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    how exactly are they adjustable? and what is they purpose of them being able to adjust? in what ways are they better than TC UCAs?

13. Dec 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    MTNative

MTNative Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm heading out to the garage now. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

14. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The ball joint is adjustable to dial in the amount of additional caster you want , the LR UCA's are adjustable from 0-4* of additional camber over stock .

15. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ok thanks. but how do you know what setting is ideal for your truck?

16. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    Chris at SPC said some of the early bushing failures were due to the installer tightening the bolts when the suspension was unloaded (near full droop). They added the info below to their FAQ to try to fix this issue.

Q. Since my Toyota is lifted, in what position should I tighten the long bushing bolt?

A. The main idea is to put the control arm bushings in the center of their travel range, so the best thing to do is have the control arm in the center of its travel arc no matter if the vehicle is lifted or lowered. This will ensure the bushings flex the same amount in each direction. This is usually just about horizontal to the ground for most Toyotas. Tightening them at normal ride height is the next best scenario. As is the case with all suspension bushings, the bolts should NEVER be fully tightened while the vehicle suspension is hanging on a hoist.

17. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    At their neutral setting the LR UCA's add 2* of caster , this seems to be enough for 2-3" lifts to allow an optimum alignment . Higher lifts , or larger tires may require a manipulation of this caster setting to get the tires to clear etc

18. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    oh ok so since i am running 285's on a 3 inch lift would i need a higher or lower caster setting?

19. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    If you are running stock UCA's , you will have your caster adjustment maxed out to get " in spec " , however you probably will not be able to get optimal caster without aftermarket UCA's

20. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts

Products Discussed in

To Top