Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake Pads and Rotors ??

Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Pads and Rotors ??

what combo is everyone running on their trucks ? Its about time to swap em out and I'm just looking to see what everybody's running.

Want a pad thats low on brake dust and has good stopping power and won't need to be replaced for a little while

Thanks guys, and yes I used the search function :roll eyes: also I'm not really wanting to swap out to the tundra brakes
Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Napa rotors since they were cheapest and Duralast Gold pads
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
1998tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
1998tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
In a month im going to go with EBC duralast rotors and their heavy duty green stuff pads. There low dust pads, and are supposed to last forever. All in all about 250$ for everything
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
rhewins13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SPC, 2 Brigade,82nd Abn Div, 1-73 CAV FST
Name: Richard
rhewins13's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't changed pads or rotors on my taco yet, but on my other vehicles I just bought oem pads and rotors. You can buy the more expensive ceramic pads that wont leave your rims all dusty.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
oem blanks with hawk hps
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tacoma4x4 View Post
In a month im going to go with EBC duralast rotors and their heavy duty green stuff pads. There low dust pads, and are supposed to last forever. All in all about 250$ for everything
This is the exact setup iv been looking at
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
on my tacoma i had powerslot rotors and hawk performance lts pads. great combination! no brake fade and good pedal feel.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Formally afroman5015

I do wash it regularly and I'm tired of cleaning brake dust out of my rims....
Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I installeld dura last rotors and pads they seem to be preforming OK.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Formally afroman5015

I like having a little extra stopping power when pushing 35s haha, gonna go with the power slotted rotors and ebc green pads probably 6000
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I just get the cheap pads/rotors from Napa. If I had the money I would go OEM or something better, but right now brakes are brakes.

And I have never felt brake fade in a truck/car....how hard do you guys brake???

Only time I ever felt brake fade was when I raced motocross...scary to land off a 50ft double and barely have enough brake to make a turn

<------------and woah....1,111
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
tundra calipers, brembo solid rotors, akebono ceramic pads.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading brakes seems stupid to me, its not a race car, I guess it makes some sense if your running huge tires or running in the desert, I dont plan on doing it though.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Upgrading brakes seems stupid to me, its not a race car, I guess it makes some sense if your running huge tires or running in the desert, I dont plan on doing it though.
Good point, stopping is overrated.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Hell yeah it is, I dont ever use brakes to stop, as demonstrated in my avatar
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I just get the cheap pads/rotors from Napa. If I had the money I would go OEM or something better, but right now brakes are brakes.

And I have never felt brake fade in a truck/car....how hard do you guys brake???

Only time I ever felt brake fade was when I raced motocross...scary to land off a 50ft double and barely have enough brake to make a turn <------------and woah....1,111

When I worked at NAPA, everyone who worked there would use the "truestop" (second line, cheaper) rotors, and the AE series brake pads ("Application Engineered", OE material spec)

We never got complaints on the cheaper, offshore rotors, but everyone complained about the cheap pads squealing.

At least spring for the good pads.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
For an upgrade, might check and see if NAPA offers a cross drilled rotor for the Tacoma. I know the local ambulance company's mechanic, they use the cross drilled rotors and carbon metallic pads on the E350 vans that get run hard in the hills around here.

Not sure how long they last, he was thrilled to go from 6K miles on a set of brakes to 15K miles.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
until you might need to actually stop, that is.

if upgrading your brakes can give you 5, 10 or 15 feet shorter stopping distances (as can also be the case with tire choice), is it worth it, or necessary, to spend the extra $? who can say? you may never need to find out. but surely there are instances when those distances could have avoided an accident, or possibly even saved a life.

oem equipment (like brakes) is a compromise by the manufacturer. price vs. performance is certainly one consideration. thinking that replacing with oem is the best solution may or may not be the right choice for you.

for example, have you ever gone down a really steep mountain grade and had your stock brakes cook, and thus not be able to stop, or at least suffered degradation of your stopping power? at that point, what would you pay to have an instant upgrade to performance pads and rotors that would either not fail or would maintain significant stopping power?

again, you may or may not ever find yourself in that situation. some people are willing to pay to never have to worry about having to find themselves in that situation. and some people are not. personal choice really.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #20

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhart View Post
until you might need to actually stop, that is.

if upgrading your brakes can give you 5, 10 or 15 feet shorter stopping distances (as can also be the case with tire choice), is it worth it, or necessary, to spend the extra $? who can say? you may never need to find out. but surely there are instances when those distances could have avoided an accident, or possibly even saved a life.

oem equipment (like brakes) is a compromise by the manufacturer. price vs. performance is certainly one consideration. thinking that replacing with oem is the best solution may or may not be the right choice for you.

for example, have you ever gone down a really steep mountain grade and had your stock brakes cook, and thus not be able to stop, or at least suffered degradation of your stopping power? at that point, what would you pay to have an instant upgrade to performance pads and rotors that would either not fail or would maintain significant stopping power?

again, you may or may not ever find yourself in that situation. some people are willing to pay to never have to worry about having to find themselves in that situation. and some people are not. personal choice really.

He was just mocking my dumb post. Great points though.