Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rear shackles vs AAL for rear lift?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
rob1208lv is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
rob1208lv's Tacoma Gallery
rear shackles vs AAL for rear lift?

I can't decide on either rear grease-able shackles or AAL for my rear lift.
Both are priced the same, both seam easy to install.
From what I have read the Shackles add flex, but I'll have to re-rout my exhaust hanger. And the AAL will Decrease Flex but is easier to install as no re-routing is necessary. Also I currently have the axle wrap mod on the truck, and from what I read, the Shackles will help with axle wrap?
As for the front I'm just going to do spacers.
Goals - 2.5" lift front rear, to put bigger wider tires (31x10.5) on truck daily driver hardly off road ..
Thoughts
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do the AAL because the shackles do increase flex. Increasing the flex will quickly wear out your stock leaf pack. Also, look into 5100's for a front lift instead of spacers. Spacers are cheap and you'll get what you payed for.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd do the AAL because the shackles do increase flex. Increasing the flex will quickly wear out your stock leaf pack. Also, look into 5100's for a front lift instead of spacers. Spacers are cheap and you'll get what you payed for.
I'll look into it, this is the kit I was going to order
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...n=DAYKT09114BK
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
I kind of have to laugh that it's called a comfort ride system. Spacers generally ride like crap. It will work for a cheap lift, but if you want lift and a good ride, I'd save up a little more and do something else with the front instead of the spacers. Check out the Bilstein 5100's at Downsouth Motorsports or Toytec. Between the 5100's at an AAL, you'll be around $250ish but the ride will be better (plus none of the other issues that come with spacer lifts).
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How can they charge $160 for freaking spacers??????????????

You can get bilstein 5100's for $185 plus the TW discount from DSM and free shipping. Thats mere pocket change compared to those spacers...

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

Run these on the 2.5'' lift setting, will ride a lot better than spacers. Or run these till you can save up for eibach coils and ride even better with more lift!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I kind of have to laugh that it's called a comfort ride system. Spacers generally ride like crap. It will work for a cheap lift, but if you want lift and a good ride, I'd save up a little more and do something else with the front instead of the spacers. Check out the Bilstein 5100's at Downsouth Motorsports or Toytec. Between the 5100's at an AAL, you'll be around $250ish but the ride will be better (plus none of the other issues that come with spacer lifts).
+1 Everyone here is going to tell you the same thing, stay away from spacers.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Quote:
so this ?
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

w/ the 5100 option added ?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

You can get bilstein 5100's for $185 plus the TW discount from DSM and free shipping. Thats mere pocket change compared to those spacers...

Run these on the 2.5'' lift setting, will ride a lot better than spacers. Or run these till you can save up for eibach coils and ride even better with more lift!
What about for the rear?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so this ?

w/ the 5100 option added ?
No, these and the AAL of your choice. The one you linked is a rear AAL, rear shocks and a spacer up front, just like the kit from 4WP. You want 5100's up front, an AAL for the rear and rear shocks if you can afford to do so.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

The $160 is for spacers and an AAL. Still no great bargain but it is a complete lift front and back.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Quote:
No, these and the AAL of your choice. The one you linked is a rear AAL, rear shocks and a spacer up front, just like the kit from 4WP. You want 5100's up front, an AAL for the rear and rear shocks if you can afford to do so.
ok so above plus

=gtg
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Quote:
The $160 is for spacers and an AAL. Still no great bargain but it is a complete lift front and back.
its actually 143.99 for the complete kit..
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, if you set the 5100's up front to 2.5, that 2" AAL should be all you need in the back. Let one of the 1st Gen guys chime in though and say at what point should you look into longer rear shocks depending on your use. Since you don't off road, I don't think you'll have a problem although new rear shocks to better dampen the AAL is a good idea (not required).
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Quote:
Yes, if you set the 5100's up front to 2.5, that 2" AAL should be all you need in the back. Let one of the 1st Gen guys chime in though and say at what point should you look into longer rear shocks depending on your use. Since you don't off road, I don't think you'll have a problem although new rear shocks to better dampen the AAL is a good idea (not required).
thx - are the mods pretty easy to do? or how much should I expect a local shop to install it for?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
though, I've never had a problem with AAL's limiting too much flex
Thats weak.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Thats weak.
Your mom.

OP- prices depend on the shop but you shouldnt have to spend too much; the swap/installs are pretty simple
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thx - are the mods pretty easy to do? or how much should I expect a local shop to install it for?
I can't speak to the fronts for the 1st Gens but the rear is a piece of cake with basic tools. You'll need a floor jack, jack stands, wrenches, a torque wrench and a C-clamp.
Here's a 2nd Gen AAL install thread with pics. It's the same for 1st Gens.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...econd-gen.html
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its a piece of cake! order the coils installed on the shocks or you will be hating life!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
any brand of aal better than the other?

Products Discussed in this Thread