Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New 97 Taco 4x4 2.7L Owner..Couple of questions

Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
tbmd is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
tbmd's Tacoma Gallery
Smile New 97 Taco 4x4 2.7L Owner..Couple of questions

Hey guys! Just bought a 97 Taco yesterday (needed a truck for winter as my 05 mustang gt is not so great in icy conditions lol). It's a 4x4 2.7L Auto. It was a one owner, and only has 98k on it. It's in great condition. Just have a few questions about it..

1. After about 5 mins of driving it when I come to stop in drive it shakes more than I think it should, and more than it does before it hits about the 5 min mark, or is warmed up. If I shift it to neutral or park while idling the shaking completely goes away. Any ideas?

2. Sometimes when coming to a complete stop (right before completely stopping) I can feel what seems like a shift, I guess is the best way to explain it. Then sometimes when letting off the brake while at a complete stop, idling, it does the same thing. Not sure if this makes sense or not..

3. I've got that annoying speedometer noise. From what I read I need to buy a new cord and replace it. Anyone have a link to exactly what I need?

Thanks for your help! Is there anything I should know about these tacos specifically?

My frame is good by the way, more or less rust free. And recently the crankshaft pulley was replaced.

Cheers!

Kyle
Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmd View Post
Hey guys! Just bought a 97 Taco yesterday (needed a truck for winter as my 05 mustang gt is not so great in icy conditions lol). It's a 4x4 2.7L Auto. It was a one owner, and only has 98k on it. It's in great condition. Just have a few questions about it..

1. After about 5 mins of driving it when I come to stop in drive it shakes more than I think it should, and more than it does before it hits about the 5 min mark, or is warmed up. If I shift it to neutral or park while idling the shaking completely goes away. Any ideas?

normal, maybe do a tranny flush to be sure though.

2. Sometimes when coming to a complete stop (right before completely stopping) I can feel what seems like a shift, I guess is the best way to explain it. Then sometimes when letting off the brake while at a complete stop, idling, it does the same thing. Not sure if this makes sense or not..

Axle wrap. Caused by the weak rear springs on the truck. It wont hurt anything but it is annoying. New heavy duty springs will solve this.

3. I've got that annoying speedometer noise. From what I read I need to buy a new cord and replace it. Anyone have a link to exactly what I need?

Thanks for your help! Is there anything I should know about these tacos specifically?

My frame is good by the way, more or less rust free. And recently the crankshaft pulley was replaced.

Cheers!

Kyle
Not sure about the speedo. I agree the cable is probably needing replaced.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
tbmd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Not sure about the speedo. I agree the cable is probably needing replaced.
Thanks for the quick reply! Really appreciate it. Already love this truck.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmd View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Really appreciate it. Already love this truck.
No prob, also welcome to the site. Your truck will not be stock for long
Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
tbmd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No prob, also welcome to the site. Your truck will not be stock for long
that's what I'm afraid of..same thing happened to my stang lol
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sometimes when coming to a complete stop (right before completely stopping) I can feel what seems like a shift, I guess is the best way to explain it. Then sometimes when letting off the brake while at a complete stop, idling, it does the same thing. Not sure if this makes sense or not..
i am pretty sure my truck does the same thing, that was a great way of describing it

Quote:
Axle wrap. Caused by the weak rear springs on the truck. It wont hurt anything but it is annoying. New heavy duty springs will solve this
the only problem is that my rear springs dont feel weak at all. i was surprised how stiff they were