Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suggestions for 04 TRD suspension lift???

Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
PghMike is on a distinguished road
PghMike's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions for 04 TRD suspension lift???

I am looking for suggestions from experienced Tacoma owners to pick a suspension lift for my stock 04 TRD.

My truck is my daily driver so I’m not looking for a 9” lift with 42” swampers.
I’d like to install no greater than a 5” suspension lift using my 265/70R16 and want to spend less than $1000, if possible.

I’ve found the following online:
Rough Country 2.5” for $239.95
http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota_95-04_tacoma_2.html

Summit Racing 3” for $703.25
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-TTC30STKS/

Some Questions
1) Cost vs. Quality…New Leaf Springs vs. Add-A-leaf?
2) Cost vs. Quality…New Front Coil Springs vs. Spacers?
3) Any other required parts for the kits I listed above?

I’m a mechanical engineer but certainly not a mechanic, so any important suspension install aspects or other things to heavily consider when choosing a lift kit are much appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^^

check that out.

generally we try to steer people away from spacer lifts. They can break suspension components and give a worse ride than coils/struts.

The cheapest/most popular lifts on the site are bilstein 5100's front/rear paired with eibach coils, or OME coils with OME struts/shocks.

both give around 3" of lift.

you don't want to go over 3" without a drop bracket lift or you risk damaging your diff and having your ride turn to crap. (but DB lifts=$$)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Try checking out toytec they have it all. As far as spacers vs coilovers, here in Hawaii we have so much tacomas running revtec front spacer leveling kits and I haven't heard any one having a problem with it. In back I would go with blocks or shackles. I'm a first gen guy though so ... Hope I could help
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed98toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Konaborne is probably right go with coilovers but the spacers are way cheaper
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98toyota View Post
Try checking out toytec they have it all. As far as spacers vs coilovers, here in Hawaii we have so much tacomas running revtec front spacer leveling kits and I haven't heard any one having a problem with it. In back I would go with blocks or shackles. I'm a first gen guy though so ... Hope I could help
Probably because 99% of them have never done any real offroading. I have a bent front strut because of spacers.

And blocks/shackles are terrible suggestions in the rear.

Coilovers (OME or Bilstein) with Coils and AAL or new leaf pack in the rear is the best option. You can get a full Bilstein kit, Eibach coils, and AAL for around $700.

Spacers are cheap....but you get what you pay for!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
x2 on the recommendation to read this^^. You should also review the Suspension Lift Info thread. Both are very informative, and should answer many of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
And blocks/shackles are terrible suggestions in the rear... Spacers are cheap....but you get what you pay for!
x2! You definitely get what you pay for, and there are much better options than blocks, shackles, & spacers.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Probably the worst suspension suggestion I've ever heard. Do it right and forget about it. Best bet is coilovers and new leafs. A little cheaper route is OME or bilstein all around. Search around some though there's plenty of into on here to help make up your mind.
Goodluck
Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Spacers and blocks are junk.

Quote:
Konaborne is probably right go with coilovers but the spacers are way cheaper because they are junk.
That's better.

Quote:
Probably because 99% of them have never done any real offroading. I have a bent front strut because of spacers.

And blocks/shackles are terrible suggestions in the rear.

Coilovers (OME or Bilstein) with Coils and AAL or new leaf pack in the rear is the best option. You can get a full Bilstein kit, Eibach coils, and AAL for around $700.

Spacers are cheap....but you get what you pay for!
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddix View Post
Probably the worst suspension suggestion I've ever heard. Do it right and forget about it. Best bet is coilovers and new leafs. A little cheaper route is OME or bilstein all around. Search around some though there's plenty of into on here to help make up your mind.
Goodluck
I also agree.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
pairodice is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
pairodice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
x2 on the recommendation to read this^^. You should also review the Suspension Lift Info thread. Both are very informative, and should answer many of your questions.

x2! You definitely get what you pay for, and there are much better options than blocks, shackles, & spacers.
x3 great advice, most people that run spacer lifts change it out later after they are not happy with performance and ride. get the good stuff right away, save time and money not having to do it again
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with 5100's up front buy them from downsouth motorsports, cheaper and great customer service, plus no outrageous shipping cost.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
5100s up front, Eibach coils

5125s or 5150s in rear at the approriate length, and an AAL or new leaf pack. (Wheelers, Allpro, Dakar, Alcan, Deaver)

Don't put that spacer/block shit on your truck. Makes it ride worse. Upgrade the suspension..rides better.
why the 5125's or the 5150 instead of the regular 5100's?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IIRC, 5125s and 5150s offer more/different travel options than 5100s. The 5150s also have CrossFlow Reservoirs that neither 5100s nor 5125s have.
whats the advantage of that? Just better shock cooling? Because I have heard that they all pretty much ride the same.

What is the typical travel length for a 2-3'' lift in the rear?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
cole northern va is on a distinguished road
Name: Cole
cole northern va's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I would not say I am experienced in the suspension field, however I could share my experience with you. I have a 2010 and can be seen on my profile. First, I went with the 3", more like 2.5 inch lift by redilift, and went with 20 inch chrome rims, and nitto terragrapplers. I spent somewhere around 1K for the lift installed and around 800 for the tires. The ride was good, however, hind site being 20/20, I should have went with what I have now. I now got a 6 inch Fabtech, with 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trailgrapplers. Also had the chrome Westin bull bar thrown in the deal, and I spent almost 5800 dollars. I know that is not what your wanting to spend, however, and this is just my opinion, once you get the smaller lift, you will probably want to go with the bigger one. (Just my opinion). Taking the advice of some of the others, "do it right the first time". If your sure you want to stay around 3 inches, then you should be fine, but the 6 inch lift from FT is solid and I am really happy with it. I have had a lot of looks and compliments about the truck. I have even had a couple people say its a West Coast look, with the blacked out rims. LOL. Pretty cool, especially since I live on the East Coast. Its def a decision you should think about but keep in mind, if you buy cheap - you buy twice. Not to say you are getting cheap parts or craftmanship work, just take some time and weigh the options. If you think you will want to go bigger,,,,you may want to spend the extra money. If I would have did that, it would have saved my about 1800 dollars and with Christmas around the corner, that would have allowed me to get a few more gifts....LOL. If you want to talk offline about it, feel free to send me a personal message and we can discuss. I am always open to providing information or help. Good luck....
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
whats the advantage of that? Just better shock cooling? Because I have heard that they all pretty much ride the same.

What is the typical travel length for a 2-3'' lift in the rear?
According to the experts at DSM, 5100 rear shocks have too long a collapsed length for a stock height truck. (See http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3128139 and http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3128402 for details.) The 5150's reservoir increases shock oil capacity for greater heat dissipation and damping.

As I recall, typical travel length with 2-3" lift is about 9"-10".
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
According to the experts at DSM, 5100 rear shocks have too long a collapsed length for a stock height truck. (See http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3128139 and http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3128402 for details.) The 5150's reservoir increases shock oil capacity for greater heat dissipation and damping.

As I recall, typical travel length with 2-3" lift is about 9"-10".

This..almost. 2-3'' of lift is about 8-9'' of travel 3.5-4.5'' is gonna be the 10-11'' shocks.